30: Firenze

There was a sudden sound of galloping hooves and, emerging from the bushes, came a centaur, muscled, blonde haired man from the top, pale, honey coloured horse from the bottom. It charged the hooded figure, who immediately retreated and disappeared into the forest.

"Are you alright?" asked the centaur, staring at Y/N directly in the eyes.

"Yes. Thank you." Y/N replied, relieved.

"You are the L/N boy." the centaur said. "It is not safe for you to be out in this forest, had any other centaur found you, they would've killed you."

Y/N was puzzled. "Why?"

The centaur avoided his question. "You better return to Hagrid. Can you ride? It will be quicker this way.

"My name is Firenze," he added, as he lowered himself on to his front legs so that Y/N could clamber on his back.

There was then a sound of more galloping hooves and two more centaurs came bursting through the trees, one extremely large and strong, the other tall and thin.

"Firenze!" the large one thundered.

"Bane." Firenze said calmly, adressing the large one. "Ronan." he said, adressing the tall one.

"What are you doing?!" Bane shouted. "You have a human on your back! Have you no shame? Are you a common mule?"

"That is no ordinary human." Ronan said. "That is the L/N child."

Bane made a face that made it obvious he was swelling with anger, he readied his crossbow.

"Stop! Do not fire!" Firenze shouted, shielding Y/N with his torso.

"That is the L/N child!" Bane shouted. "The stars have demanded his execution! He is a threat to the future of our noble race!"

"He is a child!" Firenze countered. "A child who has done no wrong! To take his life would be a sin! We do not harm the innocent!"

With that, Firenze galloped away, fast enough to outrun Bane, who was hot on their trail, Firenze was definitely the faster centaur, and just before Bane was lost to the trees Y/N heard him shout:

"You will never be safe Y/N L/N! Even if you survive what is in store for you, I will kill you with my own hands!"

They rode on in silence after that, which was eventually broken by Y/N.

"Why does that centaur want me dead?"

Firenze slowed to a walk. They made their way through trees in silence for so long that Y/N thought Firenze didn't want to talk to him anymore. They were passing through a particularly dense patch of trees however, when Firenze suddenly stopped.

"Y/N L/N, do you know what unicorn blood is used for?"

Y/N, who had read about this topic in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them answered immediately.

"Consuming the blood of a unicorn will keep you alive even on the brink of death, but at the cost of a cursed life."

Firenze nodded. "That is because it is a monstrous thing, to slay a unicorn, only one who had nothing to lose, and everything to gain, would commit such a crime."

"I can see why Voldemort needs it." Y/N muttered.

"So you knew that creature was the Dark Lord?" Firenze said, sounding slightly impressed, "And yet you stood your ground. Very brave. How did you know?"

"Dumbledore told me a year ago that the relationship between my mother and Voldemort was similar to a sibling relationship." Y/N said. "The weirdo back there said something like, 'So you're my sisters little boy.' so I straight away knew it was him."