9: The Boy Who Lived - And The Boy Who Didn't Care

Y/N and Hermione stared at the scarlet steam engine in silent awe.

"Its amazing isn't it?" whispered Hermione.

"Yeah I guess." Y/N mumbled.

Coconut scratched at Y/N's feet a little, requesting to be put back into the cage.

"Oh yeah sorry Coco." he said quickly, scooping her up in his arms. Before he could gently place her in the cage, she was snatched away by Hermione.

"Aaawwww is this your cat? She's adorable!" she squealed, cuddling the icy white cat.

Y/N was startled. "Yeah - um, could you put her in the cage please?" he asked.

"Sure!" Hermione said as she lowered Coconut into the cage.

"Thanks." Y/N said, sounding a little annoyed. "Well, let's get on then."

Y/N made his way on to the train while Hermione said goodbye to her parents.

There weren't many people on the train yet, as it was still ten forty, and the train wouldn't leave till eleven. Most of the people were still outside on the platform or hadn't arrived yet.

Y/N plonked himself down on a compartment seat at the end of the carriage. I wonder how long the journey will be. He thought.

It wasn't long before the door slid open and Hermione entered the compartment. She sat down opposite him.

There was an awkward silence.

"So... Um, looking forward to learning magic?" Y/N said, breaking the silence.

Immediately Hermione's entire demeanour changed. "Oh yes! I'm so looking forward to it! I'm particularly interested in Transfiguration, you know, turning one thing into another, I've already practiced a few spells, non practically of course, we aren't allowed to use magic at home, but I'm really looking forward to what house I'll be sorted into... "

Y/N was startled into an intimidated silence at her sudden launch in conversation, he had never met anyone so into their education, apart from himself of course.

Hermione seemed to notice his uncomfortable expression. "Oh I'm rambling aren't I? Sorry about that."

Y/N grinned. He found this spirited girl interesting, as well as amusing.

"Not at all, it's cool you have such an interest in education." he said.

Hermione looked like her ears had deceived her. "You don't think it's weird? For an eleven year old girl to love education so much?" she asked anxiously.

"Of course not. There's nothing wrong with having a love for learning. It's better than being a clueless idiot."

Hermione beamed. She obviously wasn't used to people agreeing to her opinions.

"How many of the textbooks have you read Y/N?" she asked.

"All of them." he replied simply.

Hermione nodded her head enthusiastically. "Me too. Which was your favourite book?"

"Hogwarts: A History." they said in unison. They laughed.

The compartment door suddenly opened. A round-faced boy poked his head around it.

"Has anyone seen a toad?" he asked, his voice full of distress.

Y/N and Hermione both shook their heads.

"Do you need help finding him?" Hermione asked.

The round-faced boy nodded gratefully. Y/N and Hermione followed him out of the compartment.

They took their time to check each compartment for the boys toad. His name was apparently Neville Longbottom, and the toads name was Trevor.

There were only a few compartments left now. Neville was starting to think Trevor had run off for good.

"Cheer up Neville, we'll find him eventually." Hermione assured him.

Sliding open one of the compartment doors, Hermione took up that bossy tone of voice again.

"Anyone seen a toad? Neville's lost one." she asked the boys inside.

Y/N took a peek inside. Two boys sat there. One had flaming red hair, freckles and a long nose that seemed a bit dirty. He seemed to be in the middle of testing a spell.

The other boy had raven black hair and startlingly green eyes that reminded Y/N strongly of Ellie. He wore round glasses that was covered with so much sellotape around the edges that the frame was hardly visible.

"We've already told him we haven't seen it." said the redhead, obviously annoyed. Hermione didn't seem to notice however.

She suddenly noticed the wand in his hand. "Oh, are you doing magic? Let's see it, then."

The Boy looked taken aback. "Er - alright."

He cleared his thought.

"Sunshine daisies, butter mellow,
Turn this stupid, fat rat yellow."

Nothing happened.

"That wasn't a real spell." Y/N said bluntly. He had studied enough to know that spells weren't said in English.

The redhead stared at him. "How do you know? Have you done magic before?"

Y/N shook his head. "No. But I've studied." he said. "Do you come from a wizard family?"

The Boy nodded.

"Well then you should have known that wasn't a real spell. Have your parents ever used English in their spells before?"

"No..."

"Well then?" realising that this was the perfect moment to try out magic for the first time, Y/N pulled out his wand out and pointed it at the spectacled boy.

"Occulus Reparo." he muttered. The tape on the boys glasses immediately disappeared, leaving perfectly mended glasses. "I was raised by muggles and I knew that." he finished.

Hermione nodded in agreement. "Me too. No one in my family is magic at all, it was ever such a surprise when I got my letter, but I was ever so pleased, of course, I mean -"

"Hermione you're rambling again." Y/N pointed out.

Hermione blushed. "Oh - sorry." she said, embarrassed. "I'm Hermione Granger by the way, who are you?" she asked the boys quickly.

"I'm Ron Weasly." the redhead muttered.

"Harry Potter." the one with the glasses stated.

Y/N remembered that name. He remembered Dumbledore mentioning the child who vanquished Voldemort would be attending Hogwarts this year.

Hermione gasped. "Are you really? I know all about you of course - I got a few extra books for background reading, and you're in Modern Magical History and The Rise and Fall of the Dark Arts and Great Wizarding Events of the Twentieth Century.

"Am I?" Harry asked, sounding dazed.

Hermione launched into another explanation of how many books Harry was in. While Y/N just stood there listening, with an uninterested look on his face. He could tell it was greatly bothering Ron.

"What about you?" Ron suddenly snapped at Y/N. Hermione immediately stopped talking. "Aren't you surprised to meet the Harry Potter?"

Careful not to change his expression, Y/N spoke. "Not really. As glad as I am that Potter got rid of an evil wizard, I do not intend on showing him any special treatment for doing so, as the rest of the Wizarding world does. The night he got rid of Voldemort was simply a fluke. Nothing more."

Hermione and Ron flinched at the sound of the Dark Lords name. Ron then looked at Y/N with astonishment and anger. Harry however, gave him an oddly appreciative look.

"C'mon Hermione, Neville will wonder where we've gone." Y/N said.

With that, Y/N and Hermione left the compartment.