25: Gryffindor Vs Hufflepuff

As soon as Y/N's name was called out, there was an eruption of noise, mostly protests and boos.

While around half of the students were enraged that Y/N was the reserve Seeker, the other half were annoyed that Gryffindor had let yet another first year play in the team. Ron snuck a glance at his brother Percy, who was torn between both reasons, his personal hate for Y/N and his reproachfulness that the school rules were once again being bended.

Hermione looked at Y/N worriedly as he mounted Harry's Nimbus, but remarkably, he didn't seem to bothered that most of the students were yelling abuse at him, he simply kept his neutral expression.

The few who weren't outraged by this turn of events were the Gryffindors who had watched Y/N practice, naturally they didn't really care that it was him, they only cared that he was a good Seeker. Hermione tutted in disgust.

"I've never seen Snape look so mean." Ron said to her. "Look - they're off. Ouch!"

Someone had poked Ron in the back of the head. It was Malfoy, who had taken the opportunity that Y/N wasn't there to stop him to torment the Gryffindors.

"Oh sorry Weasley, didn't see you there."

Malfoy grinned broadly at Crabbe and Goyle.

"I have to say, getting L/N onto the team the way you did was smart Potter, I'll give you that. What? You didn't think I'd notice you deliberately injuring your hands during potions yesterday?"

Harry didn't answer, Snape had just awarded Hufflepuff a penalty because George Weasley had hit a bludger at him. Hermione, who had her fingers crossed on her lap, was squinting fixedly at Y/N, who was circling the game like a hawk, looking for the Snitch.

"You know how I think they choose people for the Gryffindor team?" said Malfoy loudly a few minutes later, as Snape awarded Hufflepuff another penalty for no reason at all. "Its people they feel sorry for. There's you Potter, who's got no parents, see there's L/N, who's got no friends, then there's the Weasleys, who've got no money - you should be on the team, Longbottom, you've got no brains."

Neville went bright red but turned in his seat to face Malfoy.

"I'm worth twelve of you, Malfoy." he stammered.

Malfoy, Crabbe and Goyle howled in laughter, but Harry, still not daring to take his eyes from the game, felt a swell of pride, and said. "You tell him, Neville."

"Longbottom, if brains were money you'd be poorer than Weasley, and that's saying something."

Ron's nerves were already stretched to a breaking point with anxiety about Y/N.

"I'm warning you Malfoy - one more word -"

"Ron!" said Hermione suddenly. "Y/N -!"

"What? Where?"

Y/N had gone into a spectacular dive, which drew gasps and a few cheers from the crowd. Hermione stood up, her crossed fingers in her mouth, as Y/N streaked towards the ground like a bullet.

"You're in luck Weasley, L/N's obviously spotted some money on the ground!" said Malfoy.

Ron snapped. Before Malfoy knew what was happening, Ron was on top of him, wrestling him to the ground. Neville hesitated, then clambered over the back of his seat to help. Harry gave them a glance, slightly amused, but rolled his eyes and looked back towards the match.

"Come on Y/N!" Hermione screamed, leaping on her seat to watch as Y/N sped straight at Snape - she and Harry didn't even notice Malfoy and Ron wrestling under her seat, or the scuffles and yelps coming from the whirl of fists that was Neville, Crabbe and Goyle.