3: A Familiar Meeting

Albus Dumbledore strode off along the pavement, drawing many curious glances due to the flamboyantly cut suit of plum velvet that he was wearing.

He walked a short distance, finally passing through a set of iron gates into a bare courtyard that fronted a rather grim, square building surrounded by high railings. He mounted the few steps leading to the front door and knocked once. After a moment the door was opened by a scruffy girl wearing an apron.

"Good afternoon. I have an appointment with Mrs Cole, who I believe, is the Matron here?"

"Oh," said the bewildered-looking girl, taking in Dumbledore's eccentric appearance. "Um... Just a mo'... MRS COLE!" she bellowed over her shoulder. "Come in, she's on 'er way."
....

"Good afternoon." Dunbledore said, holding out his hand.

Mrs Cole simply gaped.

"My name is Albus Dumbledore. I sent you a letter requesting an appointment and you very kindly invited me here today."

Mrs Cole blinked. Apparently deciding that Dumbledore was not a hallucination, she said feebly, "Oh, yes. Well - you better come into my room. Yes."

She led Dumbledore into a small room that seemed part sitting room, part office. It was shabby as the hallway and the furniture was old and mismatched. She invited Dumbledore to sit on a rickety chair and seated herself behind a cluttered desk, eyeing him nervously.

"I am here, as I told you in my letter, to discuss Tom Riddle and arrangements for his future." said Dumbledore.
....

"How do you do Tom?" said Dumbledore, walking forwards and holding out his hand.

The boy hesitated, then took it, and they shook hands. Dumbledore drew up a chair beside Riddle, so that the pair of them looked rather like a hospital patient and visitor.

" I am Professor Dumbledore."

"'Professor'?" repeated Riddle. He looked a little wary. "is that like 'Doctor'? What are you here for? Did she get you in to have a look at me?"

He was pointing at the door through which Mrs Cole had just left.
....

"You can't kid me! The asylum, that's where you're from isn't it?"

* * *

Albus Dumbledore walked up to the front door of the very similar orphanage that he had visited last time. It even had a plain courtyard and iron bars. However this orphanage seemed... friendlier.

He stood outside the front door and rapped his knuckles against the door.

The door creaked open somewhat and Dumbledore was greeted by warm blue eyes similar to his own.

"Hello? Can I help you sir?" a feminine voice asked him.

Dumbledore gave a smile. "I know this is rather short notice but I'd like to have a word with young Y/N L/N."

The door opened fully and Dumbledore was greeted with a pleasant-faced woman with long brown hair.

"Why do you wish to see him sir?" she asked.

"I've come to give him a place in my school."

The woman gave a warm smile. "Alright then. He's should be on his way back from scho at the moment. I'll lead you to his room and give you some tea."