29: Silver Blood

At first, Gryffindors passing the giant hourglasses that recorded the house points thought there had been a mistake. How could they have suddenly have a hundred and fifty points fewer than yesterday? And then the story started to spread. Y/N L/N, the hated child who was the son of a murderer. The one who had won the quickest Quidditch match ever recorded in Hogwarts. The Boy they had accepted not too long ago. Him, and another stupid first year.

If he was hated before, it was nothing compared to this. He at least had Gryffindor on his side after the match against Hufflepuff, and now every single student in Hogwarts hated his guts. Everywhere Y/N went, people pointed and didn't bother to lower their voices as they insulted him. They tripped him in the halls, jinxed his chair and nowadays he could never enter the Gryffindor Common room, he had to wait for someone to come out so he could enter.

Only Ron, Hermione, Harry and Neville stood by him.

Y/N could take the bullying. He was used to it. But Neville was a different story. He constantly looked on the brink of tears. Y/N had sort of become his body guard, he would walk with him in between lessons. If anyone tried to hurt Neville, Physically or Verbally, Y/N straight up did it back.

Y/N had had enough at this point. This school had it out for him from the start, the entire Wizarding World hated him and the Ministry spread lies about him. If he was honest, he didn't really know why he was still here. He had already made up his mind that he hated Hogwarts. He missed Ellie, Annie, and even the other Orphanage kids.

The answer smacked him in the face. He was still here because of his three friends. His first friends. As long as he had them, he was invincible. Untouchable.

As a result, he studied harder than he ever did for the exams, he didn't hate Hogwarts, he wanted to attend second year, because they would be there.

He was studying harder than Hermione these days, he was rarely seen out of the library, and when he wasn't there he was in the common room, reading his textbooks, ignoring whatever grief came his way.

Then, about a week before the exams were due to start, Y/N heard somebody whimpering in the classroom ahead of him as he and Harry made their way back from the library. As they drew closer, they heard Quirrells voice.

"No - no - not again, please -"

It sounded as though someone was threatening him.

Hearing this had made Y/N and Harry realise the bigger picture, with all the drama about the dragon, and their exams, they had forgotten about the Stone. And it didn't take a genius to figure out that Snape was in the room with Quirrell.

"All right - all right." Quirrell sobbed.

Quirrell seemed to have finally given in.

Y/N and Harry returned to the Library, where Hermione was testing Ron on Astronomy. Harry told them what they'd heard. Y/N just let Harry do the talking, since he never really spoke much since the incident.

"Snape's done it then!" said Ron. "If Quirrell's told him how to break his anti-Dark force spell-"

"There's still Fluffy, though." said Hermione.

"Maybe Snape's found a way to get past him without asking Hagrid..." pondered Ron.

After a long discussion on whether they should poke their noses in or not, they eventually decided not to, and went back to revising.

The next morning, notes were delivered to Y/N, Neville and Malfoy. They were all the same:

Your Detention will take place at eleven o'clock tonight. Meet Filch in the Entrance Hall.