Chapter 40: Birthday Wishes

Start from the beginning

"Bruce." Natasha smiled at him. Bruce smiled back with a tint of red on his face.

"Natasha." He nodded. I smirked at the two.

"Happy birthday kid." Natasha turned to me. I rolled my eyes.

"I'm 19 now. Your only 29. 10 years!" I exclaimed with a grin. She chuckled.

"A whole decade. That's a long time. Anyway, I can't wait till you start working for S.H.I.E.L.D. Steve and I arranged a training schedule for you. I will teach you hand to hand combat as well as weapons. Steve will teach you control, and how to concentrate on the task. I also have plans on what we can do together. Fury also said that we might go on a few missions together. We might even be partners!" Natasha explains happily. She was very excited to have another friend to work with that isn't all uptight.

"Natasha, I'm sure she's just as excited as you are, but let her enjoy the party. It's for her after all." Steve walked over with Thor at his side. I smiled great fully. Natasha crossed her arms childishly. "You've been hanging out with Barton too much."

"Hey!" Natasha exclaimed, offended.

"Happy Birthday Lady Hope. I sure hope today has brought you happiness as should every other." Thor smiled down at me. I grinned.

"Today was perfect. After everything, it's good to forget sometimes." I nodded with a satisfied smile. Thor nodded.

"My brother sends his best as well." Thor spoke. Steve, Bruce and Natasha gave him a look.

"How is he anyway?" I asked curiously. Thor smiled with a knowing look.

"He's says he quite likes it. Quiet and peaceful. Reading books Mother brings him. But I can see that he wishes to be free again." Thor told me. I nodded.

"When you go back, could I come with you? Just for a visit?" I asked hopefully. Thor looked unsure.

"I am uncertain-." Thor started.

"Please Thor! It would be the perfect birthday present!" I gave him my best puppy dog eyes and pout.

"No point man." Steve patted Thor's shoulder as Thor tried to resist. "Me and Nat tried, but we can't."

"...I guess it would not hurt." Thor gave in. I grinned.

"Yes!" I first bumped the air. The others laughed.

"How does she do it?" I heard Nat whisper to Bruce.

"I honestly don't know, but I couldn't say no either." Bruce told her.

"You'll love Asgard Lady Hope." Thor nodded with a grin.

"I didn't know you're gonna work for S.H.I.E.L.D." Bruce spoke. I turned to him with a nod.

"Yep, and I can't wait. I get to spend time with my favourite red head and my favourite movie partner." I wrapped my arms around them. Steve smiled as Natasha rolled her eyes. "I can't wait to start our little project either." I smirked at Steve. Steve nodded slightly with a small smile. Everyone looked confused.

"Project?" Natasha questioned as she leaned closer with a smirk. Steve and I looked at each other.

"Okay! Hope, get over here so we can eat this cake!" Clint drooled at the cake. I laughed and waltzed over. I sat in front of the cake as everyone sang.

"Happy Birthday to you! Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday dear Hope! Happy Birthday to you!" I thought of the one wish I have had for the past few months and blow out the candles.

"You look like a monkey! And you smell like one too!" Dad and Clint sang together, the only ones laughing at their "hilarious" joke. I smiled at them.

Everyone grabbed a slice and ice cream. I love chocolate cake! And ice cream! Chocolate is worth living for! I notice Fury in the corner of the room. I grabbed another slice and made my way over.

"Hiding in the corner I see." I smirked at one eyed Nick. He sighed. "Not a very good job either."

"I'm only here because Natasha and Clint threatened me. Barton doesn't scare me, But Romanoff on the other hand..." Nick didn't finish, knowing I knew what he meant. He leaned back as hee watched the party. I chuckled.

"There's no other reason?" I asked with a hopeful smile. He gave me a blank stare. I grinned as I held out a slice of cake towards him. He raised an eyebrow. "Come one Nick. It's cake, cake is delicious." I kept my grin. He gave in and took the cake.

"Happy birthday Hope, but I better get going. I got shit to do." He grumbled as he looked down at the cake. "I have this too." He handed me a red box. I smiled and gave him a hug.

"I'm glad you came." I told him honestly. I let go and smiled at him. "I'll see you in two days. And thank you, for this." I held the box. He nodded and walked away, a hint of a smile. I looked down at the box and decided to open it later. I placed it in my sweater pocket. I noticed Clint standing alone.

"Hey kid!" He grinned. Why does everyone still call me kid!?

"Hey Barton. How you been?" I sat on the counter beside him.

"Never better." He smiled. I smirked at him with a knowing look. "...you know... don't you."

"Yep, and I want to meet them soon. I assume no one else does, except Nat of course." I whispered lowly. He nodded with a smile. We talked a bit about S.H.I.E.L.D and other stuff. We talked for about another 20 minutes before Steve walked up to us.

"Mind if I steal her for a minute? I have to talk to her." Steve mentioned to me. Clint shrugged as he grabbed another slice of cake. I chuckled at him.

"Gentleman." I smirked at Steve. Steve smiled as we walked towards the stairs. I looked back to see Dad and Natasha watching us. Nat's smirk and Dad's look of disbelief. Oh great! Notice my sarcasm? Steve looked back and saw the two too. Dad glared at Steve.

"I think Tony and Natasha have a little different idea on why we are going upstairs." Steve stated the obvious.

"It's alright, I'll talk to them." I lead Steve up to my room. I closed the door. I walked to my desk and placed my gift on the table. I  turned to Steve.

"So I was thinking-."

"I saw him Steve." I interrupted him.

"...what?" Steve looked taken back.

"I saw him a few days ago Steve... I saw Bucky."