𝐹𝑜𝓇𝓉𝓎

A CHANGED MAN

     A FEW WEEKS HAD PASSED SINCE Tommy's unwelcoming return and life hadn't been easy for Deborah

     A FEW WEEKS HAD PASSED SINCE Tommy's unwelcoming return and life hadn't been easy for Deborah. The couple barely acknowledged one another, except for the few words shared when they randomly bumped in to each other. Although they lived in the same house and spent time with their daughter, they had managed to nearly avoid each other completely. Tommy had spent the last few weeks in the guest room, while Deborah had taken their master room to herself. She could still remember the smug look on Mary's face the day after Tommy's return when the staff realised where he would be staying.

It was a difficult few weeks, but everyone tried to carry on as normal. Tommy had yet to go back to work, which left Deborah with even more paperwork, but she wouldn't complain - it kept her busy. The only thing Deborah did pay attention to when it came to Tommy was his high dosage of morphine. She had copped on early that the doctor had prescribed Tommy enough of the drug to keep him high every minute of the day. How he had managed to get it, Deborah wasn't sure, but she had a feeling it had to do with the big dent of money taken from Shelby Limited.

At the beginning she didn't pay much attention to the sudden addiction, Tommy had a tendency to get hooked on things if he didn't keep his mind busy with work. However, when it interfered with her daughter or caused the little girl any harm, Deborah had to step in. The only presence Tommy wanted in his life at the moment was his daughter and while at first that did upset Deborah, she got over it. Unfortunately, there had been situations when Deborah would find her daughter left alone with Tommy off searching for his medication. After that, she was mindful when it came to the two spending time together.

It was an unusual morning at the Shelby home, the maids pottered around the house carrying out their daily tasks, while Deborah began to awake. The women had managed to sleep in well past the break of dawn without the awakening of her daughters usual screaming. At first Deborah was slightly confused and concerned not to hear Veronica calling out for her mother, but she assumed that perhaps Mary had attended to the little girl first.

Walking into the dinning room, Deborah sat at her usual seat and began reading any letters. A feeling of loneliness washed over her as she glanced around at the empty seats that were normally occupied by her husband and daughter. However, her attention diverted to a bright looking Mary who has just entered the room.

The maid smiled at the sight of the young women. "Good morning, Mrs. Shelby." She greeted.

"Morning, Mary. Everything okay around the house?" Deborah questioned.

"Everything's fine, the maids are finishing the final touches to Veronica's new playroom." Mary explained, as she poured Deborah a cup of fresh tea.

"Speaking of Veronica..." Deborah began, before taking a small sip of the comforting tea. "I missed her early morning calls. Where is she?"