𝒯𝓌𝑒𝓃𝓉𝓎 𝒩𝒾𝓃𝑒

LIES AND DEATH

ONCE VERONICA WAS fast asleep in her cot, Deborah found herself back in her own bedroom

ONCE VERONICA WAS fast asleep in her cot, Deborah found herself back in her own bedroom. She stood at her dressing table and reapplied her lipstick, leaning over to ensure she made no mistakes. The news she had received last week echoed in her mind and she contemplated when she would tell Tommy. Lost in her thoughts, she failed to hear the door opening, but was pleasantly surprised when she felt arms wrapping around her waist.

"You're needing downstairs." Tommy told her, while placing slow kisses along her neck.

"I don't know if I can face my awful family again." Deborah huffed, turning in his arms.

"You spoke with them?" Tommy questioned, running a thumb along her cheek.

"They caught me when you disappeared earlier. I heard all about my handsome husband, fancy house and bastard child." Deborah told him, anger in her tone. "My grandmother and aunts also know all about the Blinder business. I'm assuming my father's side of the family told them before the ceremony."

"Well, we'll stay clear of them for the rest of the evening." Tommy assured her. "People are hungry and we need to act like we're having fun."

Deborah scoffed and moved out of his arms. "I was putting Ronnie to bed. I'll come down, but not with you like this."

"Alright, fine." Tommy sighed. "I'm not arguing with you."

"Tommy." Deborah called, her voice loud. "We're not done here."

Tommy slammed the door closed before turning to his wife. "What else is there to say?"

"Who was that man at the church? I didn't recognise him." She questioned, hoping he would tell her the truth. "Is he the reason you're acting like this?"

"He's an old family friend, don't worry about it." He lied.

"Is that where you were earlier, dealing with him?" Deborah asked. "My father's side of the family, the Solomans, they know he's Russian. They warned me to be careful."

"Yeah, they fucking did, eh? Of course they fucking did." Tommy yelled, before storming into the bathroom.

"Tommy you promised me, no more lies." Deborah snapped, following after him. "Do you have business with the Russians? Say it out loud and I'll know if it's true."

"It's business, Deb." Tommy sighed, sitting down on the bath as he lit a cigarette. "It's bad, bad business it is, all round."

Deborah knelt in front of him and took his hands. "Don't shut me out, Tommy. I'm apart of this business, just as much as you are."

"And I'm scared, Deb." He admitted. "I'm scared for you. I'm scared for the baby. And this is how I am when I'm scared. It is unfamiliar to you but not to me. I can fucking be scared and carry on. And it's not pleasant to look at and no joy to be around, all right?"