𝒯𝒽𝒾𝓇𝓉𝓎 𝒯𝒽𝓇𝑒𝑒

THE PAIN OF LOSS

ᴡᴀʀɴɪɴɢ:ᴍᴇɴᴛɪᴏɴs ᴏғ ᴍɪsᴄᴀʀʀɪᴀɢᴇ ᴀɴᴅ ᴅᴇᴀᴛʜ

ᴡᴀʀɴɪɴɢ:
ᴍᴇɴᴛɪᴏɴs ᴏғ ᴍɪsᴄᴀʀʀɪᴀɢᴇ ᴀɴᴅ ᴅᴇᴀᴛʜ

IT HAD BEEN AN excruciating week for Thomas Shelby. After the horrific events at the charity dinner, an unconscious and heavily bleeding Deborah was rushed to the hospital. The top doctors in Birmingham fought to save the young woman and prevent the bleeding in her lower abdomen. After a five hour emergency surgery, the young woman was announced stable but still unconscious. However, he had heartbreaking news that destroyed Tommy and all of the Shelbys.

Tommy hadn't left her bedside, not even after the threats from his worried aunt to go home and see his daughter. Instead he stayed in the uncomfortable chair, clutching his wife's hand for forty eight hours straight. He felt as though his world was crumbling all around him, as he spent every second of the day watching Deborah's chest slowly rise and fall.

The Shelby family didn't know how to react or how to go on with things while a member of their family was fighting for her life. The man who guided and protected them was curled up at her side, a ball of tears and nerves. Things fell apart all around them, showing how the family were unable to survive without Tommy and Tommy unable to survive without Deborah.

Eventually, Polly stepped up and got things under control again. She suggested that Deborah should be moved back to her home, where she could be cared for in the comfort and safety of her own house. Tommy had reluctantly agreed, after he realised that his wife would be back where she was meant to be. The Doctors, however, were completely against the idea, reminding the family that Deborah was still in critical condition, before remembering who they were speaking to.

Once Deborah was moved back home and the couples bedroom was fitted to her medical needs, Tommy had calmed down a small bit. He still hadn't left her side throughout the entire day, but when the sky fell dark, he found himself out in the fields, staring blankly at the woods around him. Veronica was struggling without the presence of her parents, but everyone had agreed that Tommy was not in the right mental state to see his daughter.

Exactly seven days after being shot, Deborah woke up. She was groggy and confused on what had happened over the last week. Tommy was beyond relieved and sobbed into her chest as he repeatedly reminded her how much he loved her and couldn't live without her. The nurses advised the young women to stay in bed and to avoid any visitors until she had gotten her strength back.

On her third day since waking up, Deborah had gone to the bathroom, with the help of Tommy. As he left to give her some privacy, she shakily walked over to the large mirror in her bathroom and stared into it. The women looking back at her was barely recognisable, sickly pale, cheeks slightly sunken in and knotty hair.

Slowly raising her nightgown, Deborah grazed her hand over the large bandages covering her abandon. Small specks of blood were visible but nothing compared to days ago. Tommy hadn't let her see the bandages or her wounds since she woke up. As Deborah stared down at her covered wounds, it suddenly dawned on her why her husband was so persistent on keeping her sights away from her stomach.