At eleven o'clock that night he said goodbye to his three friends and he and Neville went down to the Entrance Hall. Filch was already there, as was Malfoy.

"Follow me." said Filch, lighting a lamp and leading them outside. "I bet you'll think twice about breaking a school rule again won't you, eh? Oh yes... Hard work and pain are the best teachers if you ask me... It just a pity-"

"Well then it's a good thing no-one's asking you for your lowly opinion are they?" Y/N spat. He was already in a bad mood, and Filch made him sick, the way he enjoyed punishing children. "You pathetic little squib."

Malfoy grinned at that, much to Y/N's surprise. Filch on the other hand, was white-faced.

"How did you-" he started.

"Know you're a Squib?" Y/N sneered. "Its obvious really."

They marched off along the grounds, surprisingly, towards Hagrids hut.

"Is that you Filch? Hurry up, I want ter get started."

Filch must have seen the look of relief on Y/N's face. "I suppose you think you'll be enjoying yourself with this oaf? Well think again boy - your going into the forest-"

"Didn't I tell you to shut your mouth?"

Neville whimpered and Malfoy stopped dead in his tracks.

"The forest?" he repeated. "We can't go in there at night - there's all sorts of things in there - werewolves I heard."

"Wuss." Y/N smirked.

"Should've thought about them werewolves-" started Filch.

"Shut up already!" Y/N shouted.

Filch huffed. "I'll be back." he said to Hagrid. "For what's left of them."

"Oooooh so scary." Y/N said mockingly, as Filch shuffled away.

After a quick warning, Hagrid took them into the forest, ignoring Malfoy's protests. The words "my father" were very much audible.

He led them to the edge of the forest, holding his lamp high as he pointed to some thick trees. A light breeze lifted their hair as they looked into the forest.

"Look there," said Hagrid, "See that stuff shinin' on the ground? Silvery stuff? That's unicorn blood. There's a unicorn in there that's been badly hurt by summat. This is the second time in a week. I found one dead last Wednesday. We're gonna try and find the poor thing."

"And what if whatever hurt the unicorn finds us first?" said Malfoy, unable to keep the fear out of his voice.

Hagrid split them into two groups, Hagrid with Neville, and Malfoy and Y/N with Fang.

So Y/N set off into the heart of the forest with Malfoy and Fang. They walked for nearly half an hour, deeper and deeper into the forest. Y/N could see a clearing ahead, through the tangled branches of an ancient oak.

"Look-" he murmered. Holding out his arm to stop Malfoy. Something bright white was gleaming on the ground. They inched closer.

It was the unicorn all right, and it was dead. Y/N had never seen anything so beautiful and sad.

Y/N had taken one step towards it when a slithering sound made him freeze where he stood. Out of the shadows, a hooded figure came crawling across the ground like some stalking beast. Y/N, Malfoy and Fang stood transfixed. The cloaked figure reached the unicorn, and began to drink its blood.

Malfoy let out a terrible scream and bolted, Fang right being him. Y/N however stood his ground, in a mixture of fear and curiosity. The figure then stood up and walked towards Y/N. Eventually reaching him, it stood in front of him almost casually.

"So..." it said, in a croaky, evil voice, its face was hidden but the silver blood smeared across its mouth was very visible. "You're my sisters little boy..."

It was if a bonfire was lit in his brain, Y/N remembered what Dumbledore had told him in Diagon Alley. Despite the situation, he looked at the cloaked figure directly in the eyes.

"Hey there Voldemort." he said, his voice surprisingly firm. "How's things?"

* * *

Back in the Gryffindor Common Room, Harry, Ron and Hermione sat in the squashy armchairs, anxious for Y/N and Neville's return.

Suddenly, Harry seized up, fell to his knees, and gripped his scar tightly, crying out in pain.

"What is it? What's wrong?" asked Hermione, while Ron panicked a bit.

"My scar..." Harry gasped out. "Somethings wrong..."