The List

Ella's POV

I laid in the bedroom that I had been assigned to in the dark. Try as I might, I couldn't sleep. Slowly, I slid out of bed. I had to talk to the Doctor.

After locating his room, I knocked on his door. "Come in," he called. I pushed open the door. He was laying on the bed with his hands over his eyes and his tweed jacket on the floor. I picked it up and hung it up. "I need to talk to you."

"You didn't have to do that," he said, sitting up.

"It was bothering me," I sat down on the bed.

"Why are you in here?" he asked.

"Doesn't this remind you of something?" I asked him.

"What?"

"The invasion. For some reason, I can't stop thinking about it. I've heard about the Time War and it reminds of it," Ella said.

"Yeah, well I've been thinking too," he looked over at me. "Ella, you're a kid, Time Lord terms. A kid with the body of an adult."

"So?"

"Don't you think it would, I don't know, mess things up in your body, having a body of an adult but being the age of the kid?" the Doctor asked. When I still looked confused, he sighed. "Think about it. You aged up as a human. If you go Time Lord, it would mess everything up. Maybe even kill you."

"I'll only go Time Lord when it's necessary," I said. "I probably won't, though; at least while I'm pregnant." I sighed. "I'm scared, Doctor."

"Of what? Being pregnant?" he asked.

"No, that's just annoying, although I do worry that won't be a good mother, that it would be hard since the kid wouldn't have a father..." my voice choked up. I shook my head and took a deep breath. "No, I'm scared of the invasion."

To my surprise, the Doctor reached over and hugged me. "Ella, everyone is. You're not being ridiculous."

"I never said I felt that," I said, pulling away. "I'm going back to bed."

"Okay." I could feel his eyes on my back as I left the room.

Melody's POV

The next morning, I woke up early. I was groggy and kind of confused on why I was in my bedroom on Thorn, then I remembered. I quickly got dressed and ran down the stairs to turn on the telly.

Jasmine, Melissa, and Alex were already there. Alex looked up as I entered the room. "We're waiting for the list."

"So am I," I said with a grin, sitting down next to him. A few minutes later, Dad came down. "Highly developed Thorn, and all you've got for a telly is that thing?"

"Be quiet, Time Lord," Jasmine said with a growl. Dad raised his eyebrows but didn't say anything. Instead, he sat down. "Dad," I said, "what would happen if I appeared on this list?"

"I wouldn't let you go," Dad said.

"Okay," I turned back to the telly. The reporter continued speaking, "Queen Alexandra has given the list. Here is the copy."

I scanned it quickly. I scanned it. Only Alex was on it, so far, which I didn't approve of, but then again, what Queen Alexandra says, goes.

Melody Jane Piper.

I felt my breath catch in my throat. No. This couldn't be happening. Queen Alexandra, one of the few were-cats who didn't think of me as 'unworthy', who actually said I needed to be protected because I was so 'rare', had listed me in the army. It was like she had sentenced me to my death.