The Dry Town

Author's note: I changed the last chapter so that instead of the Doctor taking the Ponds, he takes Ella instead.

Ella's POV

"Isn't she beautiful?" the Doctor asked, spreading his arms out. We were in the TARDIS.

I made a face. "I don't like it."

The Doctor muttered something about no sense of interior decoration and went around the console. "So, where shall we go?"

"Winchester Mansion!" Melody suggested, hopping off the jump seat.

"No."

"Awwwww...." Melody made a pout face and proceeded to sit back down on the jump seat, but missed it by an inch and hit the ground hard.

"Are you alright?" I asked, kneeling down next to her.

"Ella, that happens on a daily basis when she's with me. She has no depth perception or sense of balance on the TARDIS," the Doctor said.

"I was just asking," I said sourly, helping Melody to her feet. Melody brushed me off and joined her father. "We should go on an adventure!"

 We both looked at her, and she said, "What?"

"Nothing," the Doctor said quickly. I just grinned, and Melody threw me a dirty look. I rolled my eyes. Unlike most people, I had immunity to Melody's looks.

In the end, we landed in an old small town in Texas. It was really hot and rainy as we got off the TARDIS, and we were drenched in seconds. I pushed a strand of wet-and sweaty-hair out of my face and said, "So, out of all of the places to land, we land in Texas?"

"Message on the paper," he said with a shrug. I decided to ignore him and ran after Melody, who was heading to the run-down town. The Doctor followed me, pushing his hair out of his face as we went.

"It says 'keep out'," I said, when he caught up.

"It's just a suggestion," he said. I rolled my eyes and followed him into the town. It seemed deserted. "Maybe they're inside," Melody said.

"Or maybe it's a ghost town," I said. The minute those words were out of my mouth, a bunch of men flooded the street. They all had guns. I automatically held my hands up in surrender, and Melody and the Doctor did the same. "We're friends," he called out to them.

"How do we know yeh not lying?" one of the men asked. He was missing several teeth and had a scraggly beard.

The Doctor reached into his pocket and pulled out his physic paper. I didn't see what it said, but the men put down their guns. "Sorry, sir," the man with the beard-actually, that could've described to any of the men in the group. He stretched out his hand, and the Doctor shook it. He offered it to Melody, who took only reluctantly, but she beamed with pride when he called her "a pretty thing". He did the same for me.

"What does your paper say?" I whispered to the Doctor. He gave it to me, and I frowned. "A part of the state police? You've got-"

He shushed me, then took the paper away from me and showed it to me. It now said, Someone, help us, please.

I nodded. "Oh, okay. Who sent it, though?"

"We don't know. That's the problem with the paper," Melody said.

I squeezed the water out of my hair. "We should ask the locals if anything has happened."

"Excuse me," Melody said to one of the men, "has anything, uh, unnatural happened?"

"Yeh didn't hear? There's somethin' funny goin' on here. People disappearing. Mainly young women," he shook his head. "My wife was one. Said she'd go outside, and then, I never saw 'er again."