27 ♛ The Grand Hall

Start from the beginning

"Heh." General Guo Jie grinned amusedly. "The future princess is going to be a lucky one to have an attentive husband like you."

Biting back a smile, Li Xun's eyes flitted towards Long'Er suddenly. When she realised that she was caught red-handed for staring at him, she hurriedly averted her eyes.

Why was he staring at her like that?

Before she could figure it out, the drums started playing, signalling the arrival of the Emperor and Empress. General Guo Jie stepped away from them and joined the rest, kneeling and bowing their heads deeply.

The royal couple settled in their majestic thrones. Likewise, everyone scattered to their allocated seats. Thereafter, the Emperor rose to his feet, giving a speech to those present in the Grand Hall. He expressed his immense gratitude for turning up for the celebration and the birthday gifts they had given him.

When he was finished, the musical instruments started playing once again. Several beautiful dancers in brightly-coloured costumes flocked into the hall. Their bodies moved with elegance and grace.

Everything was proceeding smoothly, until Chief Eunuch appeared out of nowhere. He hurried to where Li Xun was seated, right on the dais beside his parents, and whispered into his ear quickly.

Whatever news he conveyed, it wasn't a good one. Li Xun's face twisted into a worried frown.

"She's refusing to play?"

From what Long'Er knew, Li Xue prepared a performance for the Emperor and Empress. Right after the dancers finished their performance and exited the Grand Hall, it would be time for the princess to present herself to the audience and play a song with her pipa.

However, anxiety had overwhelmed her. According to Chief Eunuch, she refused to come out of the waiting room. Saying that she wasn't in her best condition. Because of this, it would pose a problem to Li Xun. Her refusal to play might end up tarnishing their empire's reputation, especially in front of the ambassadors from neighbouring kingdoms.

With a low sigh, Li Xun whispered to Chief Eunuch. "Do whatever you can. Console her. Persuade her to come."

"Yes, Your Highness."

The old man bowed and scurried past Long'Er. She watched as he disappeared from the hall, before turning to look at Li Xun.

He was focused on the ongoing performance. No matter how hard he tried to conceal it, she could tell the restlessness in his eyes.

She understood his feelings. She knew how important this event was to him, how hard he had worked, and she didn't want the fruits of his labour to go to waste.

Perhaps, she thought, she should lend him a helping hand.

She slid to his side quietly. "Your Highness," she whispered. "Shall I check on Her Highness's condition?"

He was surprised by her suggestion, but extremely grateful. "Please," he said. "She might listen to you."

Nodding once, she slipped out of the Grand Hall and headed to the waiting room where Li Xue would be found. Just as she pushed the doors open, a hysterical cry reached her ears.

A girl, dressed in a glamorous, sky-blue dress embellished with plum blossoms, was sitting against the wall. She wrapped her hand around her knees and hugged them to her chest tightly. Her ashen face buried in her sleeves. Her poor pipa was tossed aside on the floor, looking shabby after being abandoned by its owner.

She sobbed to Chief Eunuch and the worried maids surrounding her. "Didn't you see the crowd? I-I can't do it! Please stop asking me to go out!"

"But, Your Highness, many important guests are present. Perhaps you can—"

"All of you aren't helping with my nerves at all! Get out! Scram!"

Her sobbing intensified. They were clearly at a loss and could only tremble at her outrage. From their crestfallen expressions, Long'Er knew that they might be severely punished if they didn't manage to pacify and persuade the princess.

Unable to watch on any longer, she decided to step in.

"Your Highness."

The response she received was instantaneous. Li Xue's crying ceased and her head snapped up. Her red-rimmed eyes met Long'Er and she scrambled to her feet quickly. Throwing her petite frame at Long'Er and hugging her tightly.

"Little bumpkin! Help me!" she exclaimed. "I'm scared! I doubt I can stand calmly before everyone and play well. And if I embarrass my parents, they will be angry at me! Who knows what kind of punishment I'll be getting?"

She sobbed harder. Seeing her distressed state, Long'Er patted her head gently and consoled her.

"Believe in yourself, Your Highness. I know you can do it. I've seen how much you've improved ever since I witnessed the first time you played the pipa."

"But it's not enough!" Li Xue cried, holding up her fingers which were now covered with bandages. "Look at how many blisters have formed! I doubt I can play the pipa this smoothly when my fingers are hurting every second. What should I do now?"

To this, Long'Er frowned.

Li Xue was right. This was a huge problem. From her experience, she knew how much a blistered finger would hurt and how it might affect the quality of a performance.

Besides, crying would only mean that more time was wasted away. The matter would never be resolved like this.

Unless she stepped forward and did something.

Glancing down at the sobbing girl in her arms, Long'Er pondered quietly. An idea crossed her mind – something insane but it was feasible. With what she planned to do next, she was practically putting her life on the line. Her head on the execution block.

She sighed.

If only Li Xue was aware how much she was risking just so she could help her.

Taking a deep breath, she grabbed the princess by her arms and hoisted her to her feet. She gave her a look of determination that was enough to eradicate the fear in anybody's eyes.

"You owe me a favour for doing this, Your Highness."