1.16

[C H A P T E R  S I X T E E N]
Torture Talk

☆☆☆

IT WAS CLEAR THAT BELLAMY WAS losing it. Not only had three of his team been killed by Grounders, Finn had gotten stabbed, and that he got into a fight with his sister, but Roseline was also missing. She had been missing since the escape through the forest. Clarke and Jasper tried to comfort him by saying that maybe she was hiding out, or that she was on her way back, but nothing made him feel better. All he could think of was her body lying somewhere in the woods with a knife sticking out of her chest, just like Finn.

"Bellamy, you can't go back out there," Jasper warned, his hand on the man's chest. Behind the two, Clarke and Raven were talking to Abby Griffin and Chancellor Jaha on the radio. They had finally managed to make contact with the Ark, much to Bellamy's dismay. "It was already bad enough when we got the Grounder."

"I'm not just gonna leave Rose out there," Bellamy growled, pushing Jasper to the side. There was static on the radio and suddenly a voice different from Abby's or Jaha's come on.

"Clarke, this is Katie Taylor, I'm Roseline's mother. Can you tell me if she's alive?

Talking among the hundred fell cold as everyone stared at Clarke to respond. Everyone knew that she was gone, but who was going to be the person to tell her mother? Bellamy waited with pain in his eyes while Jasper pulled at his jacket. Clarke glanced at Bellamy, silently hoping he would know what to say.

"Hello? Clarke, is she okay?" Her voice echoed across the room.

"Rose is out in the storm right now, but last we checked she was okay," Raven said, cutting through the silence. "We're sending someone out to go get her as we speak." Bellamy gave her a thankful nod and sighed.

"Oh, okay, thank you. Here is Dr. Griffin now." Katie responded, her tone dejected. Abby returned to the comms and as if nothing happened, talk resumed and Clarke and Raven were back with discussing Finn's condition.

Jasper wiped the wet hair from his eyes and turned to Bellamy. "I'm coming with you."

"Not happening." Bellamy shook his head. "You stay here and keep an eye on that Grounder. Got it?"

Jasper wanted to say more but instead hung his head. "Fine. Just bring her back."

Bellamy nodded and turned to the lever that opened the drop-ship door. Winds and rain came rushing in, and some blocked it out with their arms. With the door all the way down, Bellamy turned back to Clarke, who gave a nod of luck. He did the same, then stepped off into the storm, leaving Clarke to watch in apprehension as the man left.

☆☆☆

Roseline was losing her mind in that room. She thought that the scraping of the man's rock against his blade was annoying, but when he stopped and picked up a book, she realized that the silence was much worse. The one thing she hated the most about the room though was that she couldn't tell what time it was. For all she knew, they could've been in there for twenty minutes, and Roseline would have been none of the wiser. 

After what felt like an eternity, Roseline stood up from her chair. "That's it. I can't take it anymore. I'm leaving and if I die from that stupid fog, then I die. It's better than this stupid place." She marched to the door and went to unlock it, but the man also got up and was quick to block the door.

"Oh no. I'm not dealing with your stupid rules anymore, dude. If you want to stop me then you're gonna have to kill me because I'll kill myself if I have to spend one more minute in this place." The two eyed each other, waiting for one to break. Roseline crossed her arms and raised an eyebrow. She was not going to stay here any longer. She missed her friends and she wanted to make sure they were okay.