35;

long chapter; yEET

• Taehyung's POV •

It was way too bright. Light cut through my eyelids like knives, and I wondered if the afterlife was always this bright. If so, I'd have to find out how to get some sunglasses, because this was painful.

It was an effort to open my eyes, and when I did so, I found myself looking directly into the sun– no, wait, that wasn't the sun, I could tell, now that I had blinked a few more times. What was that?

"Oh my god." I heard a voice say. That didn't sound like something someone would say in heaven, or hell for that matter. "Oh my god." The voice said again. "Can you hear me? Sir, can you understand me?" A middle aged women face came into view, and I blinked at her again. She didn't look like an angel– no wings or anything! Crap, what kind of afterlife was this?

"Do you know your name?" She pressed. "I've called for a doctor, he should be in here any second."

"Taehyung." I managed, but my voice was hoarse as though I hadn't used it in months. "Kim Taehyung. Where... Where am I?" My eyes were starting to adjust, and but it was an effort to move my head to the side.

"You're in the hospital, sweety. You have been for a while."

There was test after test done, and question after question asked. Phone calls were made, and somewhere in all the things happening, a doctor explained to me that I had been in a coma for over six months.

"It's a miracle, really. It has, of course, happened before, but generally after the first week or so if someone hasn't woken up, they're not going to." The man smiled. "And you... Well, you didn't just wake up! You seem perfectly fine as far as we can tell."

It took Taehyung a few hours for the shock of it all to wear off, but when it did, I realised what this meant. "I'm not dead." I said suddenly. 

I had never been dead, my spirit just left the body for a while. And Byul didn't know– which meant I had to tell her, somehow.

"Isn't that a relief!" The nurse who had been checking my IV laughed, but not unkindly. She was older than most of the other nurses I had seen so far, and there was something motherly about her that I liked.

"Yeah, it is." Taehyung gave her a smile.

It wasn't long before my parents were there, crying and hugging me. They were told I couldn't go home yet, as there were still more tests to be done, and then there was the physical therapy I would have to go through. I nodded as it was discussed around me, feeling a bit like a child that had no control over what happened to him. 

All I wanted to do was tell Byul what happened, but that wasn't something I could do at the moment and it was driving me mad. I had asked to borrow a phone before realising that I didn't know her phone number, so it was useless.

Yoongi, Jungkook, Namjoon and Jimin visited after a week, though only two people were allowed to visit at a time. "We don't want to overwhelm him, he's been through a lot." I heard a doctor tell my family. Even with only two in the room with him, the doctor didn't look happy about the situation. Apparently I was still "fragile" and it was only with his mother's urging that I was allowed to see my friends at all.

"It's good to have you back." Yoongi grinned as he walked into the well-wishing-card-filled room. I had never realised so many people cared about me until they started to flood in.

"It's good to be back." I replied, and Jungkook started crying. This made Yoongi start to tear up, and it was another few minutes before they could really talk.

"Taehyung–I–" Jungkook tried. "I know now isn't the best time, but I made a huge mistake, and now the songs for the album you were working on have been released onto the internet and–"

"I know." I interrupted, and Jungkook blinked.

"You know?" Yoongi repeated flatly.

"I know. I know who 'leaked' them, too. I told her to do it." There was a long pause.

"Should I call a doctor?" Jungkook asked Yoongi quietly, and Yoongi shot him a look.

"No, wait, I said that wrong." I said quickly. "Why don't you sit down, this is going to be a long story."

I explained everything from watching them go through my things to the day I met Byul, to the last time I saw her– though I left out the kiss, because that seemed a little too personal.

Yoongi and Jungkook listened intently, waiting patiently for him to finish before either spoke. "I think I know what happened." Yoongi said after a moment of silence. "See, Taehyung, we told you all of that."

"What?" It was my turn to be confused now.

"We visited you nearly everyday, and gave up updates on our lives." Jungkook offered, seeming to pick up on what Yoongi meant.

"We told you all about the psycho stalker girl, and I guess you... Incorporated her into your dreams?" Yoongi shrugged. "They said there was a chance you could hear us, I guess you really did after all."

"No, she's real–" I objected.

"Yeah, she is, but you've never met her." Jungkook said gently.

"But– you couldn't have just told me about her." I started, though doubt was starting to creep into my mind. My time with her did feel somewhat like a distant, yet extremely vivid, dream. "What about the day you showed her around the studio?" I directed this at Jungkook. "You didn't tell me that, right?"

"Of course I did." Jungkook looked sympathetic. "Just not while Yoongi was around."

"Look, you know what? You don't have to believe me. Just get me her number." I settled, and Jungkook looked alarmed.

"Do you remember what she and I talked about the night that I showed up drunk on what I remembered as your doorstep?" Jungkook asked suddenly. I frowned. She never told me, so I shook my head. "That's because it's the one thing I didn't tell you about." Jungkook said. "I came by the next day to tell you that it was all fine, that we got it straightened out. But that was all."

There was a sinking feeling in my chest as I listened to Jungkook speak.

"It's normal to be confused." Yoongi cut in suddenly, noticing how blank I now looked. "We shouldn't have brought any of this up..."

"But I remember her." I said in barely a whisper.

"We'll talk about this when you're out of the hospital." Yoongi insisted. "You should be resting, not worrying about all this."

"But..." I started again.

"There will be plenty of time to talk about it." Yoongi put a reassuring hand on my shoulder.

"Now get some rest, we were only supposed to stay for fifteen minutes and it's been way over that– Namjoon'll kill us both if visiting hours end before he gets to see you too." And with one last hug from both of them, they left, leaving me questioning whether or not Byul really were just a figment of my imagination, something described to me that my mind had twisted into what I wanted to imagine. 

God, I hoped Yoongi and Jungkook were wrong, but the more I thought about it, the more sense it made.

haha 2 chapters to go !

(also, is anyone reading this book?)