36 | Banding together

Day 3: Despair

Todoroki Shouto

It was the middle of the night when someone knocked on his door feverishly.

Todoroki had trouble sleeping for the night. After feeling the agony Takasaki was going through right now, he felt nostalgic in a very bad way. He was plunged back to years ago, when his mother had poured the boiling water over his......

"Todoroki!" It was a muffled voice, but Todoroki could recognize Aizawa-sensei's raspy voice.

Todoroki opened the door, wondering what was going on, but the distressed look on his teacher's face made his stomach plummet. He dreaded what Aizawa-sensei would say next.

"Takasaki... is missing."

Todoroki felt his blood ran cold, even though he could generate heat to warm himself.

"Go down to the common area. Be quiet and don't wake the others," Aizawa-sensei said.

Todoroki followed his teacher, while half-formed thoughts chased through his mind. He didn't dare to think of the terrifying possibilities that might had happened to Takasaki.

The guilty remorse in his heart heightened to a peak.

If only he had...... if only he —

Todoroki's train of thoughts was disrupted by tiny sobs as he reached the common area. Iida, Midoriya and All Might were there...... Uraraka buried her face in her hands and wept.

"There's two possibilities," All Might cut straight to the essentials. His lined face grew older overnight. "Takasaki escaped, or... she was kidnapped."

Todoroki's fists clenched so tight his knuckles were white.

"But I thought the security measures are strict. There's no way anyone could enter," Iida said.

"The door has been bolted from the inside. The police guarding the ward had not seen anything abnormal," Aizawa-sensei added.

"The window was opened. If she was kidnapped, then......" All Might trailed off.

"She could have flown off," Midoriya spoke, an eerie calmness in his tone. "She......" he swallowed the rest of the words, but Todoroki knew what he wanted to say.

......she is going to do something stupid and reckless.

Todoroki's heart tightened in his chest, as though an invisible force had squeezed it.

Uraraka's sobs ebbed. She wiped her tears on her sleeves. "I fell asleep... I..."

All Might patted her. "No one blames you. If there are really villains, you could have gotten hurt."

Todoroki wanted to consider the better possibility of the two. He wanted to convince himself that Takasaki willingly left the hospital, rather than being kidnapped. However, he knew her so well to understand that neither possibility sounded better than the other. He knew if Takasaki left on her own, she would be doing something stupid and reckless, and her definition of something stupid and reckless was also tightly related to 'suicidal'.

The prospect of seeing her cold, lifeless body was the most dreadful thing Todoroki could ever think of.

"Anyhow, the news of her disappearance must not spread. The rest of the classmates mustn't know. Takasaki is still sick in the hospital as a result of severe food poisoning and shall not return until......" Aizawa-sensei didn't give a definite date, for he too didn't know when.

"We will do our best to find her. In the meantime," All Might said and glanced at Midoriya briefly. "Don't do anything stupid."

Aizawa-sensei ordered the four of them to return to bed and wait for news from the police. It only made Todoroki anxious and restless. When the two adults left, the four of them did not return to their rooms.