I laugh mutely at the thought, thinking of Mom and Dad.

"I hope you can see me," I say in a whisper.

I miss them.

Malik returns and he's already changed. "I think you've had enough, Professor. Let's get back inside," he says gently while throwing a bathrobe at me.

"Thanks." I smile indulgently and put it on. It smells of detergent, fresh from the wardrobe or something.

"You're so crazy about water, aren't you?" He glances down at me as we head inside.

"Mmm. It's magical," I murmur and he laughs gently.

I feel lucky to have his friendship.

"Are you okay?" I ask, gazing worriedly at him as I feel like things aren't so good to him either.

Or else why would he be awake right now?

"I am, Professor. Let's go in." He unburies his one hand that's been dug inside the pockets of his sweatpants and pushes the door open.

Warmth spreads on my skin when we finally walk into the house.

"How did you know I was there?" I quiz him.

"I was in the kitchen when I heard the door opening."

I scowl. "And what were you doing in the kitchen?"

"Having a late-night snack? I mean . . . a glass of whisky?"

A sign of a bad night indeed. I don't press further.

"Maybe I could use one glass myself, or double," I blurt out and I'm damn serious.

I want to get wasted.

"I think a tea or coffee will be best for you," Malik suggestively says, "so as to warm your body."

"What a killjoy!" I sneer.

I run back to my trance as Malik makes me a cup of Indian tea, claiming it works magic for cold. I don't argue. I'm not a tea person but I like the flavor of spices and its enriched aroma when he finally hands me a cup.

"Now tell me, what's really going on with you?" He sounds like a caring old grandpa. "You were crying. It's about Liam, isn't it?"

I shift my gaze from him and reply, "I'm thinking of leaving. Maybe tomorrow . . . or the day after." I draw circles, following the round edges of the tea cup.

"You're leaving? Back to L.A? Why?" he snaps, and I hold my breath. He takes a deep sigh. "Don't tell me you're running away! I thought you're braver than that, Professor."

"I don't think there's any reason for me to stay here, Malik." My eyes are back on his.

He stays taciturn for a while, gulping his drink in one swig. I take a sip of my tea and then stare back at him, again, hoping to hear anything that can help me make the right decision.

"Well," he starts before clearing his voice. "Look, Kira, don't you like Liam?" he suddenly inquires, his voice utterly calm.

"I love him," I say recklessly, but there's no lie in it.

He licks his bottom lip. "That's deeper than I thought. Well then, what's getting in your way? Because I'm sure my beloved brother has got himself caught in you. He is totally, stupidly smitten by you." He looks serious but I manage to laugh.

"That's not true," I argue.

Not after learning about his recent breakup.

"Trust me, Kira . . . I know Liam better. He may act all cold and inflexible on the outside, but he's really a hopeless romantic once he sets his eyes on a woman of his best interest," Malik blurts.

"And you believe that woman is me?" I squint my eyes at him.

"Yes, you," Malik replies. "If we were in a different era he'd probably write to you countless love letters and poems just to express his feelings for you. My point is, don't let this chance slip away, Professor. Not everyone is as lucky enough to love and to be loved back in return at the same time."

Now that's very hard to take in. I sigh.

"I know you're caught between him and Samantha," he adds, "but what will any of you gain if you hide your true feelings and pretend they don't exist? Will it make any of you happy? Will it make Liam change his mind and love your friend instead? No, Kira. Let me tell you what will happen." He sits straight, grabbing my whole focus.

"What?" I purr.

"Sam will probably forget him in no time, I can see that clearly, but don't ask me why," he answers. "And you, my dear, will spend the rest of your life filled with regrets, not knowing what could've happened if you chose to be honest and fight for your love. And as for Liam, he'll probably lose his shits and officially quit believing in love."

"Why are you saying that about Liam? What happened to him for you to speak like that?" I ask quickly, for I feel like it's where his past relationship is concerned.

"Let's say . . . he's had a rough patch with his last relationship. I can't tell you more as it's not my place to do so," Malik says.

"When was that?" It slips.

"Are you curious or interested, Professor?" Malik whispers with a huge grin.

"Both," I confess. "Does he still love her? I feel like they had a very stable relationship, right?"

"Stable? Maybe. But if it was that stable it wouldn't have broken, right?" Malik replies ingeniously. He smiles and explains, "Every relationship can be strong and weak depending on how well the people involved nurture it to be. But when it's over, it's always over when it comes to Liam. He loves hard, but he can't stand to be hurt repeatedly."

"Aren't you asleep yet?" I ask him when it hits like an arrow in the heart.

"No, and I don't understand why." His lips curl into a cheesy smile. I can feel some naughty idea coming my way. "I know what we can do to utilize this time," he says.

"What?" I smile dubiously.

"Tom and Jerry." He grins.

"Seriously?" I have to make sure.

"Seriously," he quips. "I always do it when I feel down."

"But you're not feeling down, are you?"

"You are," he returns, and I can't help but smile gratefully.

Again I wonder how things would've been if I fell in love with Malik instead of Liam. I know better that he's only nice to me with no feelings attached, but I do feel so comfortable around him, and he never fails to bring back my smile whenever things go wrong.

Well, who knows, perhaps there'd be another mishap either way. No love story is a bed of roses and hearts only. Maybe he has a girlfriend, right? I smile to myself as we stare at each other. For sure things would have been less complicated, I still believe.