Rashan's death did something to me. It made me open my eyes to the world and I realized that our school books were lying to us. He had left me a letter that he wanted to send, saying he hated the war and wished he was home.  I felt happy on some days, when I realized what I had to do but some days, on my dark days the memories haunted me.

"Again!" My father shouted. I gripped the handle of my sword and charged to my opponent who looked to be 4 years older than me. I was exhausted but I couldn't stop. The boy hit me in the stomach and I groaned in pain. I fell mercilessly to the ground and even though I ached all over I was glad the training was over. I could wash up and wait for Zuko to arrive since I was exhausted. When I gladly closed my eyes my father pulled me up by my clothing.

"You useless brat. How weak can you be? I always wonder why Agni gave me such a piece of dirt that is not even a firebender? How will you fight in war with a  ferocious earthbender?"

I wasn't supposed to talk back, but I did. "I tried my best father. I don't even want to be in the war."

"What?" He roared and I flinched. Before I knew it, I felt sharp pains in my side as my father kicked me. I screamed as tears ran down my face.

"I'm sorry! " I tried to get away but I was too weak.

"Zhao! I think that's enough!" My mother shouted and he did stop. I could barely see as my father stomped past my mother. My mother ran to me with tears in her eyes. I started to see black patches in my vision as my mom screamed for....... I couldn't quite get what she was saying. After a few seconds all I saw was darkness.

<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~
"Fire Lily,are you okay?" I heard the soft voice of  my mother. I tried opening my eyes but my father's words still echoed in my mind. Useless brat. Weak. I'm not a firebender.

"Taliya's awake!" I heard a voice say excitedly. Zuko. I opened my eyes and tried my best to smile. But as seconds ticked away, my pain started shifting from my side to my ankle and Zuko started to become taller and his outfit started to changing.

It took me a minute to realize that Zuko changing wasn't a dream. It was real. He was standing right in front of me, outside the cell with an angry looking expression. He had a flame in hand and as it flicked I could see the scar. I think I'm still dreaming, Zuko wouldn't have captured me. But I decided to call out to him.

"Zuko?"

He went down lower so he could see my face. "Taliya?" He said in doubt. " Taliya!" He said with little excitement after he realized it was me but it ended quickly. "How did she get in here? Unchain her. Now!" He barked to the solider behind him. The solider did what he was told. I tried standing but I fell.

"Are you okay? They hurt you, didn't they?" He asked, his voice low. I hadn't realized how deep his voice had gotten. He started to murmur threats as he lifted me up.

"They didn't hurt me. It was just another accident." He didn't answer but I guessed he heard what I said  because he stopped his insults. Zuko helped me stand and my thoughts started running on overdrive. My mind came into a conclusion: good thing, I was not in my father's clutches. Bad thing, I have no idea what Zuko will do when he finds out that I had been traveling with his ticket to home. He helped me all the way up to the medicine room. I was waiting for all the questions to come down pouring on me. He sat me down as he looked for an ointment.

"How did you get here?" He asked.

"I don't know. Your men just ambushed me. Did you send them?"

"No." He said wistfully. "You know me better than that."