Nobunaga's legacy

It had been relentlessly raining for two days in a row now and I was blessed with a writer's block. So, I decided to let it go for the day. I made hot chocolate and watched stupid fake reality shows all day long.

Haguro arrived late in the afternoon. He settled in the window box to preen. He has never done this before.

'Stay still for a sec!' I reached for my phone to take photos of him but it was turned off.

Crap, I forgot to charge it. No wonder nobody was texting me. I plugged it in and soon, my phone started beeping as the notifications and messages came through. I hastily went through them.

5 missed calls from... 'S-Sasuke?!'

I haven't heard from him for six months. I was shocked. I immediately called him back.

'Saori! Where are you?' He picked up right away.

'Sasuke! Where have you been all this time? I called you like a million times.'

'Where are you right now?' He sounded impatient.

'At home. Why?'

'We've been at your place and they had no idea who you are.' He was a little out of breath.

'I moved to a new place. Are you running?'

Wait, did he say... we?

'And then I couldn't get through to you...' He was totally panting now. 'I thought... I thought something went horribly wrong.'

'Sasuke, slow down! What are you talking about? What went wrong?' I was confused.

'Saori, I lost him.'

'Who?'

'Nobunaga.'

My stomach dropped.

'I reckon he thinks that the future has changed and you don't exist anymore. I think he is about to do something... Radical.'

'I'm on my way.' I threw on my sneakers and ran outside.

I ran like never before. I had to find him. The streets were covered in a blanket of white and pink cherry blossom petals. I slipped and almost fell before a speeding car.

I found him at the Honno-Ji temple. My heart jumped when I saw him. He was kneeling before the stone monument commemorating his death. Before him, his sword, incense and the platypus doll I'd given to him. Cherry blossom petals were slowly falling onto his shoulders. He was praying.

I was frozen at the spot. It's really him... He bowed down, touching his forehead to the ground. Then he reached for his sword.

The blade glimmered and I snapped out of my daze.

'Don't you dare!' I shouted at the top of my lungs.

I won't let this turn into a Romeo and Juliet story. I want my crappy romantic movie ending!

It wasn't raining like crazy and I wasn't wearing a beautiful dress. I was in a huge hoodie and I even forgot to put on pants. He didn't catch me in his arms and lift me up in the air. Instead, I tackled him and we tumbled down together.

'Am I dreaming?' He put his hands on my cheeks.

He smiled and I couldn't speak. I shook my head.

'You are alive.' Tears gathered in his eyes. 'I thought...'

'I know...'

I cupped his cheeks and took a good look at him. His hair was longer and he was slightly thinner but his smile was the same. His gaze was oh so loving.