Not good at goodbyes

'Don't turn on the lights yet! I want to enjoy the full moon with you.'

Nobunaga took a bottle of sake, a cup and a bag of konpeitos from the kitchen and settled down before the balcony door. He pulled me on his lap and I leaned back against his chest.

'How wonderful...' I looked up at the moon with awe.

'It is. I wanted to share this memorable moment with you.' He put his chin on my shoulder.

We shared some drinks and some candy. I knew he was happy. And I was happy too. Words were unnecessary, we just sat there in silence, enjoying each other's presence.

'In my time, the night sky is so full of stars, you can't tell apart the constellations.' He filled his cup and slowly drank.

'I always lived in big cities. I've never seen a sky full of stars.'

'It is breathtaking. You would love it.' He held the cup to my lips.

The sweet sake trickled into my mouth, coating my tongue with the fiery and sweet taste of alcohol.

'Let me drink from your lips.' He hooked his finger under my chin and drew me closer.

His kiss was even fierier and sweeter than the sake. I wonder if all Sengoku men were masters of romance.

'What if you showed me?' I relaxed back against his chest and wrapped his arms around me. 'We could sit like this on the balcony of your tenshu watching that sky full of stars. You could show me your Azuchi in all its glory. I could meet Hideyoshi and all your friends.'

He said nothing but his arms tightened around me.

'I would be your relief after a long day of work. I would hold your hand when you are restless. I would keep you warm when the nights are cold. I would wait for your return after a battle. I would tend your wounds when you are hurt. I would be there for you...' I looked up at the moon. 'Just imagine it...'

He held me so tight now, it almost hurt. He pressed his forehead against the back of my neck.

'Forget it!' His voice was coarse and unsteady. 'Do you hear me? Get this reckless idea out of your mind for once and for all! I won't take you with me.'

'Can I go with you to see you off at least?' I leaned my head on his shoulder.

'No.' He stroked my hair.

'Why not?'

'Knowing you, you would probably throw yourself after me in the last minute and I would like to avoid that. I forbid you to follow me. Understood?' He commanded.

'Understood...' I felt a painful pang in my heart. He is right, I would probably do that.

'I would never put you through danger. You are too precious to me. You have to live.' He tried to hide it, but I heard the torment in his voice.

'I wish we got one more night. Just one more night...' My voice trailed off. How am I gonna live without him?

'Don't be greedy! Even if we got one more night, you'd wish for another one and another one...'

'Probably, I would.' I squeezed out a chuckle.

However, I couldn't hold back my overflowing emotions anymore. I felt too many things at once and they were distilled into pure, crystal clear tears, blinding my vision. I averted my eyes to hide them.

'Saori, don't turn away from me.' He whispered.

'I'm sorry, I know I'm not allowed to be sad but... But I can't. I just can't...'