Happy birthday, Saori!

Nobunaga settled in quickly and turned my daily routine upside down. When I woke up, he was already sitting at the table, reading the newspaper. We went on walks everyday and he kept asking all sorts of questions. He wanted to know everything. He even asked me to teach him English. He was learning so fast and I was amazed by his intellect.

But as smart as he was, he was just as stubborn too. He got the most absurd ideas and he ignored my reasoning completely. We bickered about the most trivial things and sometimes I got the feeling he got me riled up on purpose. I usually gave in and accepted my fate with a sigh.

He taught me how to play Go and we played every evening. Even though, I lost game after game, I still enjoyed playing against him nonetheless.

He told me amazing stories about the battles he had fought, about his vassals and allies, about the life in Azuchi. He told me about his plans and views as well. I was fascinated by him, he was so dignified and imposing.

I still worked into the night but I wasn't procrastinating anymore. I was looking forward to work and I was on a roll. Since he was kind of a night owl too, he kept me company.

During one of our "inspection outings", as he called them, Nobunaga noticed an ice cream shop and insisted on going in. I didn't mind because it was a searing hot summer day and the shop had air conditioning.

'Look at this!' I shoved my phone in his face.

'That's a piglet.' He acknowledged indifferently.

'Oh my gosh, how cute is that?' I showed him another video. 'Oh-oh, watch this!'

'That's another piglet eating a slice of apple. What's with it?' He frowned.

'What's with it? Just look at those toiny teef!' I turned into a mush and mumbled like a moron as I scrolled through photos of tiny piggies.

He pointed at a notification. 'What's that? Happy birthday? Today is your birthday?'

I nodded.

'Oh, I had no idea.' He said nonchalantly and scooped a spoonful from my ice cream.

'I don't make a big deal out of it. I usually don't even celebrate it.' I tried to scoop from his ice cream too but he moved it out of my reach. This guy...

'Why not? It's a big day.' He switched his ice cream with mine.

'I don't know. Birthdays are just too cliché, I guess.' I shrugged. 'When is your birthday? And how did you celebrate?'

'It is on the 23rd of June. There was always a huge banquet in the castle. Masamune cooked up a feast. Ieyasu always tried to bail out but he always came. He kept on a sour face up until he saw that poor clueless Mitsunari fall for Mitsuhide's practical jokes. Hideyoshi always scolded Mitsuhide for that. Hideyoshi kept worrying and frowning over every little thing until he got drunk. Then he became even more entertaining.' He chuckled and I saw the nostalgia in his eyes. 'Everyone was there... Vassals, allies and many more. Even the people of Azuchi town were celebrating with a festival.'

'Sounds like you knew how to party back then.' I leaned on my elbow, admiring his Adam's apple.

'You would have enjoyed yourself, if you were there.' He ate the wafer from my ice cream. 'You would have made a nice adornment by my side.'

'An adornment???' I was about to retort him when it hit me...

'Hey, hold on! Did you say June 23rd? Why didn't you tell me? We could have thrown a party for you with Sasuke or something. Oh, I feel so bad.' I pouted.

'I forgot about it, to be honest. I was supposed to be dead by then anyway.' His usually cold eyes turned bleak for a moment.

'I'm so sorry!' I felt for him deeply. I hugged him and pushed my forehead against his chest. 'I'm sorry, I forgot your birthday and that we didn't celebrate it. I'm sorry for everything you had to go through, for losing everything and everyone important to you, for being stuck here with me of all people.'