For the twentieth time that day, she let out a sigh. There was something awfully wrong with her. Even though she barely talked to Li Xun because of his hectic schedule, she was very much aware of his presence. Even if he wasn't making much of an effort, she was drawn into his voice and his natural charm. His touch on her skin.

Stop thinking about it, she chided herself.

The day before the Emperor's birthday, Li Xun was making the rounds around the palace to ensure the decorations and setup were in place. 

Her concerned eyes flickered to his exhausted face. She knew how hard he was working recently for the party, not just to celebrate his father's birthday, but to impress the officials and visitors from other alliance states as well.

However, she didn't want him to fall sick.

While he was looking through the agenda list, she set a hot pot of tea and a plate of steamed buns on his table.

"Chief Eunuch told me to bring this to you because he was busy running your errands," she conveyed the message. "Don't forget to eat, Your Highness."

It was true. She had bumped into the old man as she was reporting for duty. Because he needed to tend to other matters, he insisted on her assistance knowing that she was the guard that the prince was most comfortable around with.

Li Xun glanced up at her, looking both sheepish and famished at the sight of the food.

"Thank you."

As he took a sip of the tea, her eyes flickered to the papers he was clutching in his hand. "Is there anything I can do to assist you with the preparations?"

He was surprised by her kind offer. "I appreciate the thought, but we're almost done. I'm just finalising the list of dishes to be served tomorrow at the banquet before submitting them to the Royal Chef."

His words triggered something in her mind. "Do you have a list of the guest names?"

"Yes, I do."

"Can I see them?"

"Of course," he answered, rifling through the stacks of documents on his table. "Strange, I'm certain it's somewhere around here..."

Before he found it, their conversation was interrupted. One of the attendants standing outside of the room announced the arrival of the princess. 

Upon hearing this, Li Xun narrowed his eyes, not even bothering to conceal his annoyance. Clearly, he didn't have the time and wasn't in the mood to listen to his sister's prattle.

"What does she want now?"

On the other hand, Long'Er's face paled immediately. She shot a frantic look at him, her wide, desperate eyes begging him for help.

"I think she's here for me again," she shuddered involuntarily. "Hide me. Please."

Stunned by the visible fear in her eyes, he pondered for a brief second before waving her over quickly. She scrambled to his side and realised that their only option was for her to hide under his table.

And so, she did that. Squeezing herself into the small space.

Right before the doors to the office swung open, Li Xun sat back on his chair and held up a book, feigning interest in reading. From where Long'Er was sitting, she could hear his sister's footsteps shuffling across the floor and into the room.

"Where's my little bumpkin?" she heard Li Xue demanded. "I need him to choose my outfit for tomorrow."

Li Xun let out a noise of disbelief. "I sent him away to run some errands for me," he answered easily. "Will you stop summoning my bodyguard whenever you like?"

In return, the princess huffed, her voice thick with betrayal. "Didn't you say you would help me? But what's this that you're doing now?"

"In case you didn't notice, your pursuit isn't working. I will no longer help you if Long'Er doesn't feel the same way as you."

Li Xue sat down haughtily on one of the chairs available in the room. "I don't care. I will get what I want. No matter what it takes. I hope you don't mind me waiting here."

The girl was stubbornly persistent. Li Xun's fists clenched tightly on his knees, clearly in distress while attempting to get his sister to leave.

Even though Long'Er was being squashed uncomfortably in a narrow spot, she placed her hands on his clenched fists – a sign that she wanted him to relax.

And he did.

He unclenched his fists and she heard him answer his sister. "I do mind. A lot. Think you could spend your time elsewhere?"

"No." There was a short silence as Li Xue sauntered up to his desk. "I don't think you've noticed it, Brother, but you're looking at the book upside down."

Hearing this, he flipped his book instantly. "I was just trying to see if I could read the words from another angle. Some people actually call this a talent."

She snorted. "You're being delusional."

She returned to her seat, sitting there and drumming her fingers against the oakwood table impatiently. Watching her brother handle his work. She waited and waited, but there was no sign of Long'Er returning to the room.

After half an hour passed, she gave up waiting and decided to head back to her bedchamber with a disappointed grunt. Once she was gone, Li Xun hurriedly peeked below the table to look at the state Long'Er was in.

She was curled up like a ball. Her arms and limbs were numbed from her constricted movements. With great effort, he helped to pull her out, listening to her jabbering away little words of pain.

Once she was freed, her legs wobbled uncontrollably and she fell into him, bumping their heads together. It didn't just end there, for it created a rebound effect. She stepped backwards and plopped to the floor, landing on her rear. 

The fall startled the both of them. They stared at each other, wide-eyed, before bursting out into laughter at their silliness.

 They stared at each other, wide-eyed, before bursting out into laughter at their silliness

A/N: Have been receiving so many positive feedbacks on the edited version of this story. Thanks everyone!! 🌸

I know the world is going crazy right now, but I hope everyone is doing fine. Stay safe wherever you are~