76

Astrid's POV

"You ready Strides?" Kelley asks as we walk towards the pitch for warm ups.

"Mhmm." I say as I check over the lineup.

21-Aubrey Bledsoe
14-Sofia Huerta
2-Emily Sonnett
22-Alana Cook
18-Casey Short
8-Julie Ertz (C)
20-Andi Sullivan
3-Sam Mewis
19-Crystal Dunn
11-Mal Pugh
15-Ashley Hatch

Once I've checked over the line up I hand it to the fourth official then I'm stopped for questions from the FS1 lady.

"Astrid what's the thought behind so many different line ups since you became the head coach?" Alex Curry asks.

"This year is our experimentation year." I say. "I wanna see who fits my system best before the games start to matter more."

"Any word on Rose Lavelle's injury?"

"She has a tweaked hamstring so we're gonna hold her out and only use her if necessary."

"Thank you coach."

"No problem." I say then continue on towards the pitch.

When I get to the pitch I stand on the touch line of Volkswagen Arena and take a deep breath in.

It still smells the same.

"Ah." I say as I breath out and look around the stadium.

As I'm looking around I see Rose off to the side looking around aimlessly so I walk over to her.

"You alright?" I ask.

"I'm happy to be here..." Rose says.

"But..."

"But I just wanna play."

"I know you do Rose." I admit. "But remember you tweaked your hamstring before the France game and again in training two days ago so I'd rather you sit out than have you miss months with a torn hamstring."

"I know." Rose mumbles.

"I know it sucks, but I'd rather you be healthy for next camp then have you miss the next 3 months."

"COME ON ROSE." Sonnett yells.

Rose chuckles then she joins the players in their warm ups.

Once warm ups are over we head into the locker room and I give my last minute team talk and remind everyone of their duties.

"...Everyone understand?" I question and everyone nods. "Good. Get your last minute things done then starters to the tunnel, subs to the bench."

The girls do their last minute preparations then everyone heads to where they need to be and a few moments later the starters come onto the pitch. Once the starters are on the pitch I stand around as the anthems are played then, as the rest of the pre-match is happening, I walk over to the new Germany coach Ariane Hingst.

"Hey coach." I say with a teasing smile as I hug my old Wolfsburg coach.

"Hey Astrid." Ariane says.

"Good luck today."

"Good luck to you as well."

The two of us hug one last time then I return to my spot on the bench as the game starts.

"Who was that?" Becky questions.

"Old coach from my Wolfsburg days." I say.

"Ah." Becky says then we watch the beginning of the game.