Chapter Four

• Dedicated to James Dougan

Chapter 4
Unedited

I finally found the gym and couldn't help but smile. Everything in here was completely up to date. The equipment was shiny and new, one wall was a mirror and the other had a large window which overlooked the courts and track.

I was with a large group who were having a tour of the building, but I ended up wondering off to see if I could find someone on the track team and ask them about training.

Making my way down stairs I was instantly hit with the high pitch sound of girls squealing. Looking over I saw a group of girls with white short skirts on and little navy crop tops, all barely covering anything on their skinny, tanned, toned bodies. Obviously some poor boy was in the middle of them. I rolled my eyes, how cliché. I decided to make my way over to a group of guys and girls limbering up and putting on running shoes.

"Girls, come on, let us go!" Liam's voice called out. I instantly snapped my head over to the crowd again, seeing Liam's head pop up, "Adira! Thank God, come over here babe!" I inwardly cringed, 'babe' what a horrid pet name, who wants to have the same name as a talking pig? Regardless, I made my way over. I grinned when I saw the girls all over Tristan and Liam, their faces were priceless.

"Liam? Who is that?" I felt all the girls turn and face me, looking me up and down obviously comparing themselves to me, it made me feel really uncomfortable.

"Umm, hi, I'm Adira; I'm rooming with Liam and Tristan." I replied, waiting for some freedom so I could go talk to the runners before they took off.

"Oh my gosh, that accent is just ADORABLE! I'm Charlotte Johnson; I'm only here on cheer meets because I'm fifteen." The petite blonde looked up at me with big blue eyes, I laughed.

"Sure, umm, so you're fifteen and on a college cheer squad? You must be pretty good." she nodded, and went to open her mouth, only to have Nicole shut her up.

"Lottie, don't suffocate the girl! We can just take her to the side and have a nice little talk. Go!" Suddenly, I was surrounded by the group and was being moved away from the boys. Liam was laughing and Tristan looked like he was trying not to. I shot them my deadliest glare, which just seemed to amuse them even more.

"Right," I turned and was met by Nicole yet again, "Tristan."

"What about him?" I replied, cocking my head to the side.

"He's totally into you!" I looked around at the girls, and attempted to find the boys but to no avail. As if Tristan was interested in me, I'd done nothing but make a prat of myself in front of him.

"No he's bloody not. There is no interest there." I laughed, only to see them all loo at eachother and exchange eye rolls.

"Duh, obviously he won't tell you straight out." One girl said, the others murmuring in agreement. I scrunched my nose, not really knowing where this was going - we weren't 13 anymore. 'You know the cheerleaders are going to offer you a place with them?' the girl from history's voice echoed through my head. I gulped.

"You'll have to join us." Nicole spoke up, which started excited mutterings and agreements around the circle, I mentally groaned, "We cheer for the soccer and football team, and Tristan always watches a game, imagine his reaction to you in one of the outfits! Not to mention you'd look super cute." I gulped and let out an uneasy chuckle.

"I couldn't be a cheerleader, I wouldn't feel... comfortable in one of those outfits, never mind not being able to do all those leg things." The girls around me giggled, and Nicole hit my shoulder.

"Sweetie, with your figure, you'll be fine." Nicole replied, before they started pulling me again. I guess I wasn't going to be talking to the runners today.

~*~

Degrading. That was the only word I could use to describe the situation I was in. I was currently, standing in the middle of the girls changing rooms in my underwear having a girl measure every inch of my body, while the others nodded and tilted their heads to the side and compared colours to my skin tone.

"Is there any chance I could get dressed now?" I looked down at the girl who was now rolling up her tape measure. Nicole laughed and shook her head.

"Not your old clothes, you have to try outfits on!" The next half an hour was filled with girls throwing clothes at me or poking my legs and arms to see if I was toned enough. To say I felt embarrassed was an understatement. It turns out, my body shape was 'just right' but my flexibility needed to be worked on, not that I needed to be told.

"Right, I suggest we let her join in with us today, she has to try and catch up! The football game is less than a week away!" Charlotte exclaimed. I sighed to myself as the dragged me towards a centre court. Of course, they had to be centre of attention.

I self consciously pulled my skirt down so that my bum wasn't entirely on show and tried to pull the top up so that my clevege was covered. Just my luck, Xander was in the soccer court, wolf whistles surrounded us all. Xander's eyes were burning into me. I crossed my arms over my chest.

Liam and Tristan were still there, Liam in his football gear and Tristan talking to a group of guys. Liam ran off to play, I guessed, so Tristan was the only one who noticed my entrance. I made a small gun gesture to my head telling him all he needed to know about how I felt in this. He gave me a small smile that made my knees tremble and mouthed 'you look fine'. The comment made me blush; something about his reaction made me feel happy. The girls gave me knowing looks seeing what Tristan had just said to me.

"Who's the new girl Nicky?" Nicole shot a million watt smile to one of the soccer team members and came over to me and placed her arms around my shoulders.

"Stop staring at her you pervs, she feels self conscious as it is!" She shot a terrifying glare which made them very quickly go back to playing their game.

~*~

Cheerleading wasn't just dancing around and kicking your leg high, it hurt more than when I went on hard, long runs. When I finally got in to my dorm, my legs were shaking with effort. The boys weren't really paying attention to me; they were busy watching something on TV.

"Right," I started, flopping down onto the couch and letting out a sigh of relief, they both half turned to me, their eyes flicking back to the TV every so often, "one of you is going to run me a nice hot bubble bath, and whoever does it is going to get a kiss from me. Go."

They both stared blankly at me before scrambling to my room, shoving each other playfully and shouting. As Tristan left I noticed he had a black eye. I frowned, I would have to tend to that after my bath. That they were making for me. I smiled at myself, who knew I had this effect on guys?