Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight
Unedited

Edon was dawdling. I knew she was only doing it to annoy me and as much as I tried not to show her how bothered I was becoming, my resistance crumbled.

"Oh my God, hurry up!" She had told me she would only talk to me when we got to the campus waterfall, apparently not many people knew about it so it would be secluded and there would be no one listening in. I didn't see the point. I couldn't think of anything I needed to be told. Finally we got to the edge of the campus woods.

"Alright, we're nearly there, can you hear the water?" I nodded at her, I could, and I could smell the damp soil, it was a calming aroma. Edon, thankfully, picked up the pace and the woods thinned out to an isolated clearing.

The grass was lush and coated in daisies; the waterfall fell over the rocks darkening them with its clear water. The pool was in a crescent shape and the waterfall caused continuous arcs to ripple outwards on it's surface. The surrounding trees provided a cool shade from the hot sun, yet did not cover the sky above the pool.

"What did you want to tell me?" I asked her, mesmerised by the waterfall. She moved next to the lake and bent down putting her hand in the water. She made an infinity sign in the water, disrupting the ripples and causing them to bounce back.

"Present events and choices change future ones." I walked over to her and sat down cross legged. She was staring at the water and smiling, she turned to me and I raised an eyebrow, she let out a chuckle before looking back to the water. "Before all the ripples were the same, now, thanks to me touching the water, the ripples have changed." I looked back at the water and noticed that she was right, new ripples crossed and lapped over others, creating a new pattern.

"I chose to change it," she continued, "my future is in my own hands. The same goes for you Adira." She told me taking my hands in hers. I let out a 'huh' just as I heard fast, heavy footsteps approaching. There were a lot of people coming.

"I thought you said barely anyone knew about this place?" I grinned at Edon while she rolled her eyes.

"I wasn't lying." She moved away from the pool and crossed her arms.

"GERONIMO MOTHER FUCKERS" I heard a guy shout just as a group of about seven guys all in their boxers jumped into the water. "I beat you all, how does the alpha feel to be beaten by his own beta?" I smiled as all the guys turned to splash the poor boy.

"You're not beta yet pup!" I heard Xander's voice yell. Edon cleared her throat.

"Well, I guess we'd better be off. I do hate the smell of wet dog." She turned and flipped her hair as a chorus of growls vibrated towards us. While I cowered a bit, Edon just laughed. "Come on Adira, your second practise will be coming up soon." I groaned and followed her.

~*~

When I got to the dorm after practise I yet again flopped onto the sofa, groaning.

"I feel like this is going to be a normal routine." Tristan murmured. I pushed myself up on the couch to glare at him before stopping and looking around.

"Where is Liam? It's late and he has a whole day off timetable for practise tomorrow, he needs his rest." Tristan laughed and pointed to his bedroom door just as Liam walked out, with only a towel wrapped dangerously low around his waist.

"Tristan man, do you fancy going for a - Adira!" Liam noticed me on the couch and clutched his towel, hitching it up higher on his body, making sure it wouldn't fall. "Dude not cool, some warning would have been nice!" Tristan laughed and stalked towards Liam.

"Now why would I do that? I just think you look so cute when you blush!" Tristan teased, pinching Liam's cheek. Liam hadn't been blushing before but now his face was slightly red.

"Shut up man, you're so annoying." Liam yelled slapping Tristan's hand away and pushing him lightly which sparked a shoving fight between the brothers. I watched from over the back of my place on the couch amused, boys were so easily entertained.

"Adira? Are you in here?" Nicole's voice called to me. This distracted Liam and gave Tristan the upper hand. He shoved his brother causing him to fall backwards over the couch onto me. I squealed and covered my eyes hoping there was nothing happening, even though I could feel the water droplets from his hair dripping onto my face.

"Oh shit!" Tristan whisper yelled as I heard him run away and close a door, most likely being a coward and running to his room.

"The door was open, you left your towel in the changing room - What the fuck is going on here?" I opened my eyes to see Liam on top of me, I felt my face heat up just as his did and I put my hands on his wet chest and pushed him off.

"Play fighting that got out of hand." I told her as I stood up and smoothed out my cheerleader uniform, before walking over to her and taking my towel. "Thank you. Tristan was here but he ran away like a coward." I stated, smirking when his door opened.

"I'm not a coward, take it back!" He demanded, crossing his arms and looking at me with a playful glint in his eye. I shook my head at him.

"Never!" I yelled, sprinting into my room and closing the door, leaning against it.

"Adira, you'd better open the door and apologise!" I laughed.

"No way, I don't need to apologise for anything, you just can't face the facts!" I knew he would be able to push the door open if he wanted to, I was just enjoying the fact he was humouring me.

"They have got to be mates." Nicole stated from outside the door. Everything stopped moving around me and they all started talking in hushed whispers that I couldn't make out.

I remember reading about mates back when my dad had forced me to read one of his books. It was the only thing about werewolves that I liked; it had also made me wish once that I was one. Mates were your soul mate; they loved you no matter what. The fact that it wasn't a male controlled thing was also why it appealed to me.

Males always seemed to have it better, they were strong, they had leadership, they were respected. Where as the females were always thought of as frail and needing to be protected. However, with the mating process females were the first to know. Males had to wait until their mates were eighteen as that was when the females would feel 'the pull' as it was described.

However, females could choose whether or not to tell the males that they were mates. That part always confused me; why wouldn't you want them to know?

I had been so lost in my thoughts that I hadn't noticed that it had gone quiet outside. I made my way to the door and opened it as silently as I could. All the lights were off and I could hear Liam's snores. I smiled to myself, these boys were already starting to make me feel like I belonged.

All I had to do now was try to forget about Tristan and that huge black wolf.