1- Startup

Start-Up Initiated. Game Loading...

User-Log in, retina recognized...Loading...

Welcome Back Fraserx12!

"Thanks," Kenneth whispered as he watched the login screen fade to black.

World Generating...

Slowly, the world sketched itself out before Kenneth's eyes. His heart leaped to his throat as CGI trees in hues of green and blue rose to match the shade of the painted sun peeking above their leaves. All around him, red swatches and edges of blue built up to create the fading night sky. He let his shoulders relax and breathed a sigh of contentment. Finally.

He closed his eyes, allowing the screen to darken a moment. Then he opened them and stared across the expansive world. For five years he'd lost himself in every VR game known to man. No one could do it like Jiminii, though. A rare smile touched his lips and he stretched back.

Then his gaze settled across the grassy hill to the settlement ahead of him. Flags painted blue hung above crumbling walls. A mixed settlement, of course. Right where he'd left off. Kenneth inhaled deeply as he toggled open his inventory. Mixed settlement or not, Grafters weren't fond of full-blooded humans like him. He didn't blame them.

Selecting his pistol, he holstered it. A bit of comfort relaxed his shoulders more. Then he grabbed his map and looked up. He scanned the exterior but picked up no signs of any guards. Not all mixed settlements were welcoming, even if they were intended to be a haven for Grafters and Full-Blood's alike. His stomach churned but he took a deep breath. It's a game, he reminded himself, even if he didn't believe it. Atlas Quest was never just a game. It was his home.

Kenneth glanced down and checked his pistol charge as he walked across the swatch of land to the large settlement. More details, cracks, crevices, colors, generated as he drew nearer. He looked at the gaping gates, though. Nothing lurked in their black shadows. Still, he left a hand resting on his pistol as he entered.

Noise surrounded him, breaking the soft background music. People were yelling, players chatting. He looked around as he entered a small Bazzar filled with NPC's and players. Nametags appeared over almost every other head. Kenneth sucked in a sharp breath and stuck his free hand in his pocket. His elbows pressed to his sides.  

I gotta find a smaller street to sell off this loot, he thought. He still remembered what the value calculator had told him and he shivered at the thought of a loot hunter getting their hands on that. They didn't play fair. They hardly played the game. They didn't deserve to get rich the way they did. His jaw set itself and he scanned the crowds. No one acknowledged his presence and he turned down a quieter side street.

Vendors generated around him. Kenneth walked up to a Grafter dealer, pulling his hands from his pockets as he approached. The NPC's head lifted with a momentary lag.

"You looking to sell something?" The generic line came in a drawl as the old man with wires looped around his arms leaned forward. His green eyes stared into Kenneth. 

Kenneth dipped his head and avoided the man's gaze as he opened his inventory. "Yes, sir. Loot."

The NPC held out his hand. Kenneth pulled the loot box and handed the little blue square to the vendor. The grafter man retreated into his stall and then lifted his head.

"Value calculated at 10,000 coins," he stated, one hand holding the little square. His head cocked some.

Kenneth's eyes were on the 'Accept or Deny' near the bottom of his screen, though. "Accept," he stated. The coins at the top jumped in value. A thin smile touched his lips as he sighed. The loot was safe. He glanced back. Hah. No loot hunter's getting rich off me today. His smile curled a little before it disappeared. "Thank you," he stated and turned around.