24

Bring on the hate mail :)

"What?" I sputtered. "Why tonight?"

"Why give the council any power over our relationship? I want to be with you forever. If we get married quietly, they won't have time to protest it."

"You said they agreed, but gave you a time limit."

"They did. That doesn't mean they want it to happen. Clearly, they're willing to do whatever it takes to stop this."

"I guess you're right," I trailed. "Okay."

"I only want to do this if you're sure. I don't believe in divorce."

What an odd thing for him to say.

"Neither do I. I'm sure about it."

"Good. I do feel terrible for robbing you of a wedding day."

"Don't. It's not important to me."

"Are you sure? I can make it happen if you want."

I shook my head. "I only need you."

"You're sure there's nothing you want?"

"Do I at least get to spend time alone with you after?"

He smirked and slid his hands over my hips to pull me close. I rested my palms on his chest

"We're not leaving our room for awhile," he promised quietly.

I bit back a smile, but I couldn't deny my anticipation. I was excited and terrified of what would happen. I hadn't mentally prepared myself and that made it even more exciting. I was never one to just jump into things, but Liam brought out this erratic, careless side of me that I didn't know existed. I was afraid though. I didn't want to disappoint him, but I didn't know what I was doing. I never had a positive physical experience with a man except Liam and even that was minimal.

"I have something for you," he said.

"What is it?"

"Come on. I'll show you."

He wove our fingers together and pulled me towards the gardens out back. We passed Lisette, who wore a knowing smile.

"Your Majesty," she greeted politely. "Anna," she said coyly, but kept walking.

I watched her full figure sway down the hall in confusion. I wasn't sure why she acted that way, but I wasn't going to put much thought in it.

He opened the giant glass door for me and followed me into the crisp evening. The sky was bathed in orange and pink hues giving everything around a light glow.

"Anna," Pierce called from the doors.

I turned to look at him, but was confused as to why he would interrupt this.

"Pierce," Liam started.

"Anna, I have something to talk to you about. It's important."

"It can wait," Liam said tightly.

"I need to talk to you right now, Anna."

"He's right, Pierce. Can't it wait?"

"No."

He seemed so sure. I didn't know him much, but I could tell he was shocked and angry. I wasn't sure if it was directed at me or Liam, but I didn't like it.

"Okay, well, what is it?" I asked.

"I need to speak with you privately."

"We're getting married in a few hours. Anything you have to say can be said in front of him."