2

I followed Liam down a series of halls, plotting my escape the entire way. He hadn't said a word to me and we were surrounded by huge men in crisp suits.

"Where are you taking me?" I finally asked.

"To my home."

I discreetly rolled my eyes. "Where is that?"

"What's your name?"

"Annabel."

He stopped and turned to me. "Annabel?"

I was instantly self-conscious. I had always hated my name.

"Anna for short," I muttered.

"Your name is really Annabel?"

"Yeah ... You know, Annabel Lee, my love by the sea?"

"Poe fans?"

"My mother wrote her dissertation on him."

"Interesting."

"She's a person I would really like to get back to," I tossed in there.

"That won't be possible."

"Please, just let me go," I begged. "I didn't ask for this."

"Do you think any of these girls asked for it?"

"No, but-"

"You should be happy I won that bidding war and not Ahmad. The other girls won't be so lucky."

"I should be happy with being kidnapped and violated and humiliated?" I ranted. "I was paraded around like a whore and sold. Have you ever been sold? Do you know how dehumanizing that is?"

"Are you done?"

I bit the inside of my cheek to avoid lashing out at him. I doubted it would end well for me.

"In case you missed it, I own you now. I don't care how you feel about it. You will have some time to adjust but after that I expect you to perform your duties as any other servant. I invested an extravagant amount of money in you and I expect to see a return on that."

"You expect me to work off six million dollars?"

"I expect you to try."

"I won't," I said defiantly.

He wrapped his hand around the back of my neck and pulled me closer. I had never felt smaller than under his firm hold. Even with only one hand on me I could tell he was infinitely stronger than me.

"You will and you will do it with a submissive attitude."

My heart felt like it would jump out of my chest. His hand was cold but that wasn't what caused the chill to run down my spine. Something in his eyes told me I should not test him but I needed to know how far I could go. I needed to know how much I could get away with.

"I'm not submissive," I said. My voice was shaky and I could tell he picked up on my fear but at least I got it out.

"You will be."

He closed the gap between us and lifted me up towards him. I felt his teeth clamp on my neck with a distinct rip of flesh. I had never heard that sound before but I had also never felt that kind of pain before.

I pushed on his chest but he held me in place. The more I struggled, the worse the pain was.

"Stop!" I cried. "Please, stop!"

Tears streamed down my face but that didn't stop him or slow him. I grew weaker, tired. I could barely keep my eyes open but I pushed him one last time.