Mother's Boyfriend

Chapter 10

The week has been piling up on me, as I continued to sleep in the living room. It had become a habit even after my mother had finally gotten a few days off. She had woken me up yesterday to question why I was sleeping on the couch, which I had used the excuse of falling asleep studying. Really the scent still lingers around my room, but it had finally started to fade away now that my mother is finally around the house more often.

I had woken up early that morning to seem like I had slept in my room, which allowed me to pick out my outfit down to actually doing something with my hair. I walked out of my room dressed for school in a simple mid-drift, stripped, long-sleeved, top with a pair of gray leggings and simple black heels. I even curled my hair into loose curls that I teased out to look more like beach waves and had decided to go for a bold lip and eye makeup. When I looked at myself in the mirror, I was actually happy about how I looked.

Nodding at my work, I glanced over to my phone which was showing that Stiles would be arriving soon due to the sweet message he had sent me. A smile playing on my lips as I began to collect my things. As I was about to head out, I doubled back to get my converse, in case Stiles decided to have me join another adventure. After everything that had been happening around town, I didn't want another pair of expensive shows to get destroyed for it. The heels I had taken with me during the body hunting to frame Derek, I have made a vow to never do that again.

I skipped down the stairs as I continued to smile, but that quickly ended as I took a new scent in my home. Stopping on the last few steps, I looked over toward my mother's office to noticed a man standing beside her. When they heard me come down, they both turned around to look at me.

"Well you look like you are ready to walk the catwalk..." the man spoke up.

My eyes narrowed at his voice as I responded, "And you are?"

"Juliette," my mother hissed, "Watch your tone."

I crossed my arms at her as I gave her a look, "I live in this house as well, mom. I have the right to know who is coming into my space. You know how I can be..."

"Watch it, Juliette Lela," she whispered toward me, "I am still your mother, and you should and will not speak to me in that manner."

The man noticed the growing tension in the entryway as he walked over to me and extended his hand over to me to shake, "It's nice to finally meet you, Juliette. Your mother spoke very fondly about you. My name's Damien Whitehill, I am a hospital director in San Francisco."

I looked at his hand, not moving toward it to shake as I responded, "And why is a hospital director from San Francisco doing here?"

"We haven't been able to actually talk about this, but-" my mother began.

I knew where this was leading. My wolf was not happy about the new intruder in the house. My mother's happiness was on the line, and my protective side was starting to surface. I was about to interrupt her, but the honk of Stiles' jeep did that for me.

Giving her a dry smile, I said my farewell, "We'll talk about this later... Stiles' here."

"Juliette!" she called out to me as I rushed over to the front door.

I didn't wait to listen to my mother as I left the house in a rush. I ignored the shape pain that took me when I almost snapped my ankle on the grass due to the heels I was wearing. Opening the door in a rush caused Stiles to jump a bit, but that turned into a playful joke when I slammed the door closed.

"Hey!" he joked, "She's sensitive!"

"Yeah, well, I am as well..." I answered sarcastically.