37.) Bared Teeth Surround Her

Ryan was seated comfortably with a group of people. At a distance, I didn't notice anything wrong with them. They looked human to me.

As I got closer, they turned to look at me. I was tempted to back up and run away as they turned toward me. A few of them had glassy eyes and flies buzzed around their heads.

I'd known there were undead of course. My mother had spoken of them with disdain. My father always tried to shift the conversation away.

"It's not fit conversation for a child," he'd say when I was little. Then as I got older, he'd simply change the subject or say, "you need a good sleep tonight. I'll tell you later." He never told me.

Despite my father's best interests, his crew craved stories of vampires, ghosts, spirits, wraiths, or anything else supernatural and unsavory.

"They come in the night, creeping up on unsuspecting little girls, they lean over, and suck their blood until they're shriveled little lumps. But don't worry, they hate water. They're like cats that way. Huge, vile, (literally) bloodthirsty cats." My brief education in vampires very quickly deteriorated into a speech about cats, but it was enough to get the point across.

Nigel detested talk about the undead. "Unnatural," was all he'd say on the subject.

It didn't matter now if it was unnatural or not. I stared at the pointy fangs jutting out of one of their gums.

He licked his lips.

"I'm only half-human."

I sat next to Ryan trying to ignore the hair standing up on the back of my neck. I gulped. Vampires were supposed to be monsters. I tried to relax, looking at home. I don't know if I succeeded. I shouldn't have been continually surprised as everything existing, but each new creature caught me off guard.

Ryan huffed as she translated a few quips back and forth between me and the vampire.

"I can smell it, but I'm starving. A fishy human is better than nothing."

"Ah. I wonder, do siren songs work on vampires? I'd love to try."

"And could I lure you like a human?"

The vampire didn't make a move toward me, but he didn't stop licking his lips when he looked at me either.

"We were just talking about what would happen if the vote goes in our favor." Ryan filled me in. I stared at her.

"In your favor? As in against the humans?"

"Look, I know you disagree with me, but it's still worth discussing."

I stood up. "I wanted to talk to you, Ryan. But not like this."

I moved to walk away, but the vampire grabbed my hand. His skin was freezing to the touch.

He yanked me back in my seat.

Ryan was talking to the vampire.

"Sorry about that. Go if you want, Arriana. You're right. You don't have to stay for this if you don't want to."

The vampire looked at me. My skin crawled.

I saw one of the centaurs assigned to voting. There was a cue in front of her, but I got to the back on the line. I occurred to me as the line inched forward that she might not sign. It was a risk I would have to take.

When it was my turn she looked down at a piece of parchment and her lips moved.

"Do you sign?" I asked hopefully.

She looked up in irritation and I repeated the question.

"A little. Now, what's your name?"

"Arriana Porter."

The woman wrote something down. "V-O-T-E?"

"T-H-E-Y'R-E T-R-U-S-T-W-O-R-T-H-Y."

She nodded and I understood I was supposed to move out of the way of the line. I stepped to the side.

I didn't want to disturb Castor and Juniper again. I'd rather give them time together and be lonely than what ruin what was possibly their last moment together. I couldn't go back to Ryan.

I walked around aimlessly.

When I'd been walking a while, someone grabbed my hand and pulled me aside into the shadows. A hand was over my mouth in an instant. My eyes widened as I recognized the old witch.

Her hand slowly lowered from her mouth.

"You knew this whole time."

"It worked out."

"So it did, but you don't get to come in and decide our fates for all of us. You've barely been here anytime at all."

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to."

"The promise of one kiss and you're putty in her hands. Honestly, young people today. You're not meant to do everything in the name of 'love.'"

"What do you mean? I'm not sure I—"

"Oh, cut the bull crap. I saw her kiss you that day. I saw the way you looked at her."

I looked at her. "I'm sorry."

"I'm not the one you should be sorry for. She's using you. We all love her, but she only values people if she can use them. You're incredibly powerful. If she can't use your power, she won't care about you."

"I know." I nodded slowly.

"Then why do anything for her?"

"I don't know. I guess I was still holding out hope that it was genuine. That she really likes me." I sounded pitiful, and I hated myself for it in the moment.

The old woman hugged me and leaned into her. When she pulled back, I was signing again.

"I'm sorry. I'm not normally like this. I don't know what's gotten in me."

"There's nothing wrong with emotions, child."

The way she called me child felt endearing. It didn't feel patronizing.

"But I've been doing everything because of emotion."

She nodded. "Emotions have their place and that place should never be above logic. Take time to acknowledge what you feel and then let it run its course. These feelings will leave like they came. Ryan is well-meaning, but she's a fiery one. Don't pour all your fuel into her. She'll only burn it up and use it to burn brighter. If she keeps you warm it's just coincidence."

I nodded. "Thank you."

"Anytime. I only have one request, child."

"What?"

"Don't let logic keep taking the backseat. Think for yourself."

Then she was gone before I could say anything else.

I ran out after her, but I couldn't see her. I turned around and saw Ryan.

She took a few quick steps and she was right there. Her fingers threaded their way through mine.

"Can we talk?"

I nodded and we walked down the street together. Me and Ryan talked, but the whole time I mulled over the old woman's words. Think for yourself.

Ryan begged for forgiveness, and I said I'd think about it. She asked if we'd ever be good again. I said we were fine. She asked if she kissed me. I said she could.

We talked the hours away until it was sunset. Ryan could fill the emptiness, but it didn't stop the words from repeating over and over. Think for yourself.

I took a deep breath and smiled at her. She pulled on my hand, dragging me toward where the centaurs gathered, pouring over papers. The men stood in a line and I saw Castor. I swallowed.

"Let's sit by Juniper."

Juniper shot daggers at Ryan but didn't say anything. I held Ryan's hand as the sunset was upon us. We each hoped for different results, but her skin on my hand made me forget how much we disagreed on everything, even if it was just for a moment.