Chapter 7

As soon as Kiera entered the diner, she was surprised to see quite a few people were there even though it was already late at night. Amongst the customers, there were 2 groups of young people, but not younger than 20 years old. So she assumed they are college students too. Plus, this diner is near a college, so it makes sense that she assumed that.

Though she knew that it was highly unlikely that Chris would be there, she can't help herself to checked it. Maybe deep down she was hoping that one of those guys would turn towards her and it was Chris, smiling.

"You want anything?" Asked her friend, who was already sitting at the counter with a menu on her hands.

"Just coffee." She replied. She took a seat next to her friend.

"I'll have pancakes, with bacon on the side and scrambled eggs,"

"And 2 coffees." Her friend said to the waitress.

Kiera was still turning her head to look around. And that made her friend stared at her with confusion. Plus she was still little bit tipsy.

"Who are you looking for?" Her friend asked.

"Nobody." Kiera replied, looking back to the front.

"Sorry I ruined your night." Her friend said. She was feeling bad.

"Wait, you heard what I said in the car?" Kiera thought she was asleep.

"Heard what?" Kiera sighed. She was asleep.

"Nothing." They were silent for a second. Her friend was checking her phone.

"Sophie texted me,"

"Her cousin had an accident," that made Kiera looked to her friend.

"Oh my God, it was the accident we saw." Her friend cupped her mouth.

"How do you know?"

"Because it's at the same road and here," her friend showed Kiera the photo of the scene that was sent by Sophie. It was the same car they saw on the way to the party.

At that instance, Kiera's eyes moved to the television when she heard the news lady said,

"There are total of 5 casualties in tonight's tragic accident at 24th Avenue,"

"Jennifer Johnson, 20, Michael Green, 21 Derrick Keaton, 20, Christopher Summer, 20, and Natalie Reyes, 21. " On the screen was shown the pictures of all 5 of them.

Kiera's heart stopped for a second when she saw Chris's picture on the television.

"Honey, are you okay?" Said the waitress who just arrived with their coffees when she saw Kiera's face.

She didn't answer for a few seconds.

"Kiera?" Her friend started worrying about her reaction. Kiera finally nodded.

She was quite most of the time as they continued driving back to their hostel. And for some reason, her friend wasn't asking so much questions to her either. She was trying to understand what happened. Who was she dancing with? If it was a ghost, why does he felt so real? His soft hands, his warm breathe. Why can she felt all that if he's not alive?

As they arrived there, Kiera took her towel and went straight to the bathroom. She turned on the shower. She was still thinking but then something hit her. Whatever it was, one thing that is certain, is that Chris really is dead.

All those plan to watch his basketball game, trying to look for him at his college, all of that are not going to happen. And that thoughts made Kiera cried. She was sobbing while the water from the shower slowly ran down on her.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

A couple of months had passed, it was almost 7pm and Kiera just got out from the college library. She always spend her time at a library, especially when exam is just around the corner. She rarely go for a party too. Even though she's no longer feel sad or confuse about what happened at Lucy's party, she feels that the moment that she had with Chris, will always be her best moment.

Shortly after that night, she went to see a psychiatrist to understand what happened. Or at least to get an idea of why it happened. And the psychiatrist gave her an answer,

"It could be that God wants you to feel happy, even just for a night. And why He chose Chris, maybe because He believes Chris can do it,"

"And he did it, didn't he?" Keira nodded.

As she walked back to her hostel from the library, she noticed that the night was brighter that usual. She looked up and saw that the moon was full and there were stars around it.

Among those stars, there was one star that shine the brightest. And she thought about what Chris said that night. That the stars are the spirits of those who passed away.

"Hi Chris." She said with a smile on her face before she continued walking.

THE END