Ouma's p.o.v.
He decide he'd take me to his house. I'd remembered being there once or twice before, but not what happened. Did he know? Was that what he wanted to talk about? Had he figured me out and planned on turning me in? If so, why were we here? What was he thinking?

We sat next to each other on a couch in the living room. I could feel the sweat begin to form and run down my body as he looked at me, most likely finding words. What was he going to say? Was he going to hurt me? No, he wouldn-

"Ouma?"

"Wha-"

"Is it alright if I call you that?"

"I- uh . . . How do you know?"

"Well, . . . you told me." Was it safe to tell him this? It could change everything. That's what I wanted, though, right? So, here it goes. "It's complicated. But basically, I know. I know you're the Phantom Thief. And I know that you're Kokichi Ouma."

"But how?"

"Because," was i really going to tell him? "You see, you told me before you . . . you died."

His eyes widened as he whispered barely audibly "Am i dead?"

"No. That's the thing. You died, but you came back. You're alive. And I'm here to make sure you don't die again."

"How many times?"

"What?"

"How many times have I died?" His voice was diatant as he spoke.

"Three." Just saying the number, thinking about the times I failed, it stung my throat and caused a flood of unwanted and uninvited memories to fill my thoughts. "So I'm trying to make sure that it doesn't happen ag-"

"You're lying."

"I- what?"

"You're lying." He repeated. "I don't k ow how you k ow who I am. You're just trying to trick me into trusting you."

"Ouma, listen. I understand why you'd think that, but you have to believe me when I say I'm not. I promise, I'm not lying to you. I'm trying to help you."

"NO!" He then stood and I knew better than to try and stop him.

"Please."

"Who the hell are you?" His words stabbed at me.

"You know who I am. It's me. It's Shuichi Saihara." I said calmly.

"No. No! NO!" He covered his ears with his hands and screamed. "YOU'RE TRYING TO SCARE ME! IT'S A TRICK! I DON'T BELIEVE YOU! THIS ISN'T HAPPENING!"

"Why would i be trying to trick you?"

"I DON'T KNOW. Okay?" He looked back at me and I could see that hd was about to burst into tears. "I don't know. Just, please, leave me alone."

I stood with him and do my best to soothe him. "Please. I promise, it's the truth. I only want to help you. I'd never do anything to hurt you. Please, believe me."

"I . . ."

"Ouma, please."

He bit his lower lip as tears began to pour out of his violet eyes. He looked straight at me then, in the saddest way imaginable, shook his head. "I can't."

He turned to leave, but I reached out to him this time. I wasn't going to let him get hurt. Not that easily.

Before I knew what I'd done, i had him held in a tight embrace and he was sobbing into my chest. I barely realized I'd ever moved. He didn't try to pull away from me, but rather pulled me closer to him.

With one hand I began softly stroking his head and whispering to him. "Shhh. It's alright. I'm here. You're safe."

"I k-know. Th-Thank you, Shu-Shuichi." He cried. "Thank y-you."

"You're welcome . . . Kokichi." I continued petting his head and found that his hair was really soft.

"Shuichi."

"Mmm?"

"I'm scared. I don't wa-want to- I don't want to die."

"Trust me. You won't."

He pulled away to look me in the eyes and i looked back to see that his face and eyes were red and puffy. But he was just as beautiful as ever. He smiled causing me to do the same before he held me close once more.

"Don't you worry." I said. "I'll protect you. No matter what."

"Heh. Join me?"

"Of course."

"Really?" I could hear the surprise in his voice, but I also hear the hope.

"Really." Another smile spread across my face as I looked straight at him. "Anything."

10/07
7:39p.m.

10/07
10:57a.m.

Word count:1248