Stolen Memories and Late Night Walks

Ouma's p.o.v.
I seemed to be about eight or nine, judging by the kiddie decor that filled the small living room. The area was filled with people I didn't recognize, some of which were holding up cameras or cell phones to photograph and take videos of me. I hadn't noticed until now, but they all seemed to be singing. Their voices felt distant, though, almost as if I were being held under water. Then, involuntarily, I leaned forward and blew out several candle on a cake that read: Happy Birthday, Shuichi! With lots of love! ❤️ in blue frosting. Then they all began to clap as the scene morphed into a bright set of lights coming at me at full speed. It was coming closer and closer but I couldn't seem to move. Why couldn't I move?

The dream had all seemed to be going in slow motion. All up until the end. Why did I dream of Shumai's birthday? It felt like I was going to die at the end. It was so real. What was it?

There were so many thoughts racing through my mind that I'd forgotten about my surroundings until I heard a soft click that snapped me back to reality. With the lock picked, I waltzed into the jewelry store and looked over the many different rings, watches, earrings, and other shiny accessories before placing a large amount of them along with some money from the cash register into a bag I'd brought with me. Why do I suddenly feel so sad? So lonely? It's not supposed to be like this. Right?

"What's wrong with me?" I whispered to no one and nothing in particular. "Why does this keep happening? I just want it to go away. Why?"

No one would be coming for me for a while since I hadn't tripped any alarms or other security. So with that thought I sat down and dozed off into space feeling a wave of numbness wash over me as I began to sing softly to myself.

"I'm a dumb teen boy. I eat sticks, and rocks, and mud. I don't care about the government . . . and I really need a hug." A tear rolled down my cheek as I continued. "I feel stupid. Stupid. Ugly. Ugly. Pretend . . . it doesn't bother me. I'm not very strong . . . but, . . ."
Word count:389

Sorry, this one was shorter than the others. The next few will be a bit longer.