𝐯𝐢- 𝐞𝐱𝐩𝐞𝐜𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐮𝐧𝐞𝐱𝐩𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐞𝐝

Start from the beginning

The property was truly stunning and had this calm and serenity feel to it, that sometimes she forgot this was where Lord Cassius lived. The sky was clear; waves unmoving, revealing such a peaceful scene.

Sophie walked over to the swing where Keefe seemed to be lost in thought, still not realizing that she was there.

"Hey."

It came out as a soft feathery breath, not wanting to disrupt the serene environment.
Keefe seemed to have heard her still because he whipped around to face her and flashed one of his infamous smirks.

"Foster, ya made it."

He scooted over and patted the spot next to him, a clear invitation. She took up the spot and cleared her throat.

"So, why did you invite me over? I thought something happened."

"Gosh, I'm sorry if I just wanted to be a caring boyfriend and check up on you with everything going on lately. Is that not allowed? I'll make sure to do better next time."

A grin formed on Sophies face, she leaned in to brush one of his sun-kissed curls out of his face. She twirled it around her finger to make sure it didn't loose its bounce as it got pushed back.

Keefes eyes fluttered closed as he sighed softly.

Sophie slowly cupped both sides of his face, leaning in gradually, taking the time to admire his dazzlingly blue eyes as their foreheads pressed together, she let out a small breathy laugh and leaned in further, letting their noses brush. Her lips gently graze his own-

"Ok we get it, you guys are dating, but can you keep all that PDA crap to yourselves."

Fitz flashed a bright grin, showing that he was only teasing them even though his tone told a different story.

There was some sort of emotion glittering in his eyes, Sophie couldn't quite figure it out.

Amusement maybe?

Keefe groaned pulling away to playfully glare at his best friend.

"Dude, you better have a really good reason for interrupting us."

"Oh relax home boy, you can get back to your ravenous kissing later, but right now, I need to steal Soph from ya."

Fitz turned and gave Sophie a pointed, knowing look.

The blonde empath scrunched his nose and whined,

"But whyy?"

He snaked his arms around her lithe form, pulling her close to his chest, while resting his chin on Sophies head.

She couldn't help it as the corners of her mouth quirked up at his antics.

Sophie turned to face her boyfriend, playing with the hair at the nape of his neck.

"Hey, I'll see you later ok?"

Keefe pouted but respectively pulled back his arms from its spot on her hips.

She gave him a quick peck on the forehead and stood up to follow Fitz, quickening her pace to match his long strides.

Once they were out of Keefe's line of sight, Sophie pulled Fitz behind the nearest tree.

"How is everything going? Do you think he suspects anything?" She wrung her hands; fingers knitting together tightly.

Fitz raked his hand through his chocolate colored hair.

"Sophie relax, he seems to not doubt a thing. Plus, he trusts you so that definitely helps. You need to stop stressing, Keefe is gonna love it. No matter how it turns out, he'll still be touched by the fact that you're even throwing him a party for his birthday."

"I know, I just want it to be extra special, you know?"

"Yep. I know, you've been telling me that this past week. Come on, lets head to Everglen and finish setting it up."

                    .     .     .     .     .

"Argh no Fitz those balloons are supposed to go over here, it needs to tilt at a ninety degree angle.
Biana I specifically told them four layers instead of two.
No Dex move it to the right more its not centered.
Tam don't you dare lick the cake! Tam Song I will chop off your tongue don't test me!"

"Hey Sophie?" Linh timidly put a hand on the frazzled blondes shoulder.

"Look I know you, um, want it all to look perfect, but I think it looks amazing just how it is, and plus your starting to scare us all." The hydrokinetic sheepishly smiled.

All of her friends nodded in agreement. No one else dared to voice their thoughts though.

Sophie huffed out a breath but didn't urge as she turned to examine the work. There was confetti strategically tossed all over and balloons placed at all the entrances and the stairway, streamers were hanging from corner to corner, Sophie insisted that they all wore party hats, and there were plenty of human desserts and delicacies ranging from different shapes and sizes and colors, and of course, Sophie pulled a few strings to get him a cake too.

The Vackers had been kind enough to offer up their house for the party and Della even scheduled a last-minute "date" with Alden to let the teens have the house to themselves for the evening.

"Ok."

After another moment, she deemed their work close enough.

"Alright everyone get in your positions I'm going to let him know to come over."

A few minutes of waiting passed, Sophie could feel the anxiety wafting in the air, but she could also sense the excitement.

Hurried footsteps sounded through the foyer.

"Foster? Sophie are you here?"

As Keefe approached the dimly lit room everyone got ready. Sophie balanced her weight on the tips of her toes to the balls of her heels.

"Sophie this isn't funny where are you-"

Just a little further, come on.

"SURPRISE."

Keefe let out a screech that resembled a little girls a bit too closely. The lights flickered back on as everyone jumped out of their original hiding spots.

His eyebrows pulled in as various emotions flashed across his face.

Surprise. Then confusion. Even a tad bit of anger, but mainly relief.

He instantly rushed over and pulled Sophie towards his chest, hands wrapping around her head in a protective manner as a embraced her. He pressed several soft kisses to her blonde head.

"Geez Sophie, what do you tell him?" Tam questioned with a quirked eyebrow.

Keefe mumbled, still not looking up,
"She decided it would be a good idea to scare the heck out of me by saying she was in trouble and got hurt badly."

"It's ok, she scared the living daylights out of us the whole time we were setting up, acting like a maniac and insisting it all had to be "perfect" Biana remarked with an eyeroll.

That time Keefe lifted his head to peer at all of his friends, glossing over the maniac comment.

"Set up for what?"

"Your birthday. Happy 19th Keefe."

The empath pulled away from Sophie, still holding her at arms length as a genuine smile spread over his lips.

It took Sophie a second to realize she had been the one to say it and another second to see one single tear run down Keefe's cheek. She placed a hand on the side of his face gingerly wiping the tear away, but as she wiped it another stubborn one took its place.

Keefe leaned in, holding her gaze and whispered,

"You remembered."

"Of course I did."

Sophie closed the distance remaining and pressed her lips to his.