"9 dollars." she gave me a dollar and told me to keep the change. That was a first and the most I talked to her the last two months.

Of course it was another busy day at work as usual. Nothing exciting happening except my little chit chat with the brunette.

Once I left from work I went to the kindergarden to take Ella home.

"Hey gorgeous. How was your day?"

"It was okay mommy. We painted today."

"Yeah? And what did you paint baby girl?"

"Our family." in the sound of that I was scared. But when she showed me the picture I smiled and cried. It was me and her holding hands under a full grown tree. The colors were so bright and even if she was three years old she sure had talent. What made me cry more was when I saw another figure close to the sky smiling. Right next to her she wrote mama and I knew she was talking about Dahee.

"It's very beautiful sweetie. Very beautiful." she cupped my face and dried my tears away.

"Mommy why are you crying?"

"It's happy tears baby girl. Now let's go. Someone is really hungry because I can listen to your stomach growling"

"No it's not mommy." and when she said that I heard her stomach again "Well maybe you are right mommy. I am hungry."

Since we were still living at that motel I couldn't cook for us. But I found a Greek restaurant nearby. We were eating there almost every day for a year now and the couple that had the restaurant were the best people I ever met. They loved Ella the moment we stepped our feet inside. I still remember the day.

At that time I didn't have much money with me. When I looked at the menu it wasn't that it was expensive but it wasn't cheap either. At least I couldn't afford both of us eating well. I remember Mr Yanni, the owner, looking at me and Ella when we were ready to order. Ella wanted spaghetti and I settled with a greek salad. I wasn't looking good. I wasn't taking care of myself either. If you could see me you would say that I was starving. If it was for my girl to be healthy I wouldn't mind. I still remember Mr. Yanni's words.

"Why don't you let me make something really tasty for you? What would you like? My wife makes amazing greek meatballs. What do you say? With some fries. Eh?"

"It is very kind of you sir but it's okay. I am okay."

"From what I can see you are not dear."

"I am sorry. I can't pay for both of us."

"Don't worry for that. It's on the house. So.. what do you think of those meatballs?"

"I.. I.." my stomach growled and I was embarrassed. Last time I ate a real food.. Well..It's been a while

"I think I got my answer. It won't be long. In less than 20 minutes Maria will have your food ready"

From that day Ella and I were eating at Apollo's every day for free. Mr Yanni and Mrs. Maria took us under their wings and I couldn't be happier.

"Gia sas (hello in greek) my girls. How are you today my little one?"

"I am okay, Mr Yanni. We painted at school today"

"Really? Very nice. Go inside to Mrs. Maria and show her your work." once Ella left to go find Mr Yanni's wife we sat at the same table as every day.

"So how are you today Jennie?"

"I am good."

"How was work?"

"We had a lot of people today. That's always good."

"You know that I can help you with finding a decent home you know. I have friends that can help you out."

"I know and I respect that Mr. Yanni. You don't know how much it means to me that we are eating here every day. But I want to be able to pay for that house on my own. One day I promise I will pay you for all your kindness. You and Mrs. Maria are really good people."

"Nah.. It's nothing. In my village back in Greece we learned to help each other people and give. What Christian-Orthodox I would be? Eh?"

"Not all people are like you."

"Nonsensess. Now.. Tell me what would you like for lunch today. My wife made an amazing pastitsio today."

"Hmm.. I can't say no to Mrs Maria's pastitsio now. Can't I?"

"That's my girl. Maria.. A pastitsio for Jennie and chicken with rice for the little lady."

I don't know where we would be if those kind people weren't there. Things were good for once.