☙ chapter eight.

"God, that is awful!" Cree frowns, shuddering a disgusted groan as the rife taste of Benny's mint chocolate chip flavored ice cream eased down the throat. Benny chuckled heartily, watching as her nose scrunched up at the palpable ice cream flavor. "That is one of the most disgusting things that I have ever tasted."

"Aw, it's not that bad." Benny surmises, watching as she lapped her tongue around the cold, saccharine swirl of her vanilla ice cream that was stuffed inside of the small waffle cone. He scoffed playfully, "At least I didn't choose a bland flavor like vanilla." He shrugged, before shoving another spoonful of the delicious treat inside of his mouth.

"Everyone loves vanilla, you're the one with terrible taste." She rebuttals, tauntingly sticking her tongue out at him in a mocking manner. They were currently walking around the nearly vacant mall; staunching through the different stores. Though it was the weekend, it was still fairly early in the day. Most people didn't loiter around the mall until mid-afternoon.

"So, are you having a good time or are you regretting asking me to join you?" He catechizes, slighting a nervous chuckle. Upon their arrival, Cree had surprisingly been very quiet much to his avail. All throughout the day, Benny inwardly pondered if the reason for her sudden silence was due to her lack of enjoyment with him. Cree halted mid-gait and turned around to look at him. She chewed softly on the plush skin on her inner cheek, glancing into his eyes. She stood quiet for a moment before eventually asking, "Do you wanna go somewhere? Else, I mean."

Benny frowned sullenly. "Oh, you are having a bad time."

"No." Cree hastily reassured him, smiling softly as she rests a hand on his arm. "I promise it's not that. I want to show you something. Is that okay?" She asks, in which he retorts with an assuring nod of his head. They walked down the street, Cree glanced over her shoulder and smiled softly at him as she intwines her slender fingers within his rougher, slightly callused ones. Benny almost pulled his hand away in recoil, embarrassed by how rough and clammy his hands were but she tightened the loose grip she held around his fingers, securing him in place.

Cree lead him through a deep hollow of woods that was behind an abandoned factory. He gave her a hesitant look, nervously spectating their surroundings as they walked further into the woods, following along the muddy path. "We're almost there." She says, upon noticing the ambivalent look that marred his face. Their walking continued then came to an abrupt halt moments later as they began to approach a lake.

"Wow, I've liked here for most of my life and I've never seen this before." He says, admiringly roving his eyes around the beautiful scenery athwart from him. The small lake was surrounded by a moss of trees, the sun's luminescence casted a soft glow that shone on top of the water.

"I found this place one day when we first moved here. I like to find spots where I can draw in peace, a place of complete tranquility. This was it." Cree dutifully explained, reminiscing on the event that occurred over a month ago. She remembered stumbling upon this serene place, how the sounds of the water sloshing against the tiny currents helped soothe her mind away from the chaos, how the musky smell of dirt and salty lake water somehow made her feel a sudden peace that she had never felt before. She turned towards Benny and smirked roguishly, "Wanna get in?"

Benny shook his head, his mouth jutting in a downward from as he looked at the murky, quasi green lake water. "That water looks disgusting. There's no telling what's in there."