5 | Breaking Rules

Start bij het begin

Looking at the ground, he asks, "W-when will you be back at school?" Suddenly, his shoulders jerk up. At the same time, he blinks several times again, shifting his eyes. "Ah! T-the teacher wanted to know..."

"Hm..." When I feel like it. "I don't know."

"Oh..." After trailing off, he bobs his head then bows. There's some hesitation before he turns around to leave.

I don't know what compels me, but again I say, "Thanks."

His eyes widen as he turns back to look at me. A small smile creeps upon his lips, then he bites the bottom one as if to stop himself, and says, "Yes." When he walks towards the gate, there's more certainty in his steps.

I go back inside the house and close the door. How did he end up talking to my homeroom teacher? How did he even find out who my homeroom teacher is? With the way he is, it must have required a lot of effort and courage. Maybe saying thanks a second time wasn't misguided.

 Maybe saying thanks a second time wasn't misguided

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

The doorbell rings in the afternoon, just like yesterday. Hiramoto again? After looking through the glass, I find my guess is correct. When I open the door, he's staring at the ground, lips fidgeting. He's always so unsure of himself. It makes me feel... Is it annoyance? Maybe it's pity. Or is it simply confusion?

"I-I'm very sorry," he says out of nowhere, bowing.

What is he sorry for? Yeah, that feeling is probably confusion.

After shooting a glance towards me, he stands upright. "Ho-Home...work... Katana-senpai's... Um..." Glaring at the ground, he furrows his brow deeply and tightens his grip on the straps of his schoolbag.

Startled by his expression, I find myself asking, "Are you here to get the homework from yesterday?"

His features soften. "Ah... Yes, but... Um... well..."

"Wait." I turn back into the house to retrieve it.

"Wa— Ex—"

Having been stopped, I look back at him. He digs into his bag and pulls out another manila envelope. At first, he holds it out to me, but then he brings it back to his chest like he's changed his mind. "But!" he starts, frowning. "Well..."

"What?" I face him, growing impatient. "Hey... If you want to say something, you should say it."

"Are you mad?" he asks, the thin brows above his naïve eyes tilting.

I stare at him blankly. Out of all the things he says fluently, that's what he chooses? "I'm not mad. But..." Trailing off, I try to find the right words. "You should clearly just say what you want to say. I won't get mad."

Eyes still dove-like, he nods. "Study..." He takes a deep breath. "Can Katana-senpai help... m-m-mnnn..." Body beginning to shake, he blurts, "I'm very sorry," and winces.