6 | Fathers Suck

Tuesday, May 1, 2007

After homeroom, Ms. Shiraishi calls me outside the classroom. No one notices in the bustle of break-time. "There's a first-year teacher who wants to see you," she tells me. "So, go to the office next break, okay? It's Teacher Kiriyama."

Despite being very confused, I obediently nod my head.

The next break, I step into the teachers' office and look around. There are a few teachers here at their rows of desks and the copy machines. Since Japanese schools pack all their teachers into one big room, I have no clue which is Teacher Kiriyama. "Um... Excuse me," I announce. Their heads turn toward me. "I was called by Teacher Kiriyama."

"Oh! That's me!" A man sitting at his desk raises his hand. I've never seen him before, so how does he know me? As I approach him, he turns in his chair to face me at his side. He appears to be in his 30s, the top two buttons of his shirt are undone, and he's not wearing a wedding band. "Katana-san, right?"

"Yes, sir."

"I'm Hiramoto-kun's homeroom teacher."

Oh. Okay. At least his teacher seems relaxed.

There's a moment of silence as we stare at each other.

Okay? And? "Um... did I do something wrong?"

"No, no, no." Mr. Kiriyama shakes his head. "Hiramoto-kun told me you were getting along. You've become friends?"

Friends?

Noticing my confused look, he continues, "You probably realize Hiramoto-kun is... hm... special. So, you've done a good deed."

Deed?

"You'll continue to be his friend, yeah?"

This is all making my head spin. Does he seriously think I'm friends with Hiramoto? Him spending lunch in my spot, and following me home, and getting my help studying doesn't make him my friend. And "deed?" Does he think I'm allowing Hiramoto near me because of pity?

But Mr. Kiriyama is looking at me so expectantly that I can't tell him the truth. So I fix my blank expression and reply, "Yes."

"Good," he says, satisfied as he turns back to his desk. "You can go. Don't want to be late for class."

"Yes, sir." I turn around and leave.

When I reach my classroom, there's a group of my female classmates blocking the doorway. "So cute!" they're all repeating, fawning over something. As I get closer, I spot Hiramoto's face in the center. He's backed against the door frame, head down, eyes avoiding their gazes, and body trembling. The scene is like a pack of wolves cornering a baby rabbit.

"Are all first-years this cute?" one girl says, trying to get a better look at his face. She's closer than anyone would be comfortable with, let alone Hiramoto.

Another one leans against the door with her arm up. I recognize her as one of Mori's friends as her eyes narrow. "What would you want with Katana?"

When I reach the door, they all notice me and shut up. Hiramoto looks at me, his eyes full of regret. His lips part like he's about to say something, but no sound comes out.

Thinking maybe prompting him will help, I ask, "What is it?"

His mouth opens and closes, but he still doesn't actually say anything. His body continues to shake but less than before.

Maybe there are too many people around. "Come this way," I tell him and walk back down the hall towards the stairwell. Two boys speed down the corridor, trying to make it back to class before the bell rings. As they zip by, Hiramoto flinches.