THREE: Travelling

Isiah rubbed at his eyes and wished he'd been able to get more than a few hours of sleep. He'd been far too excited to sleep properly, the idea of finally leaving and seeing the world had gone around and around in his head for hours. He had only seen the little village nearby once or twice. Now he would be travelling all over Brenmar, and maybe even all over Vishera if the treaty went well.

His single bag of clothes sat on the ground next to him. They were never allowed to take much, some clothes, a little bit of food and a pouch of money the Mother gave to them as a gift. Anything else was seen as too materialistic and too heavy to carry on their long journey. The only other things he could take with him were anything gifted to him by the people he would work for. If he was given any gifts.

The Mother stood nearby, talking with the Princess and surrounded by the other monks. The day before hadn't gone at all as he thought it would. He'd expected the Princess to look down her nose at him, but she'd been polite enough. Isiah had never spoken to someone of royalty before. He hadn't known what he was and wasn't allowed to say, but the Princess hadn't appeared offended by him.

He could only hope he didn't mess it up on the few days they would spend together. A week at most, the Mother had said. A week travelling in the carriage with the Princess. He hoped they wouldn't have to talk much, lest he embarrasses himself.

The carriage stood where it had been left the day before, the horses chewing on apples brought to them by the children. It was more lavish than anything Isiah had seen before, except, of course, the crystal and its surrounding statues. The castle would be the same. It would be a miracle if somehow managed not to come across as a bumbling simpleton.

When he had first seen her, Isiah hadn't known what to think about the Princess. He'd heard stories of what the Askari looked like, but he had never thought he would get a chance to see one. All of them had deep blue and indigo skin, striking white hair and a single point on their ears. Some, like the Princess and her advisor, had hair that reached down to their backs, while the guards stationed with her kept theirs as short as his.

The difference had been shocking. But it was something he would have to get used to quickly if he was going to travel with her. He would be the odd one out among the group, the single Ishini.

As he stood against the wall of the tower, watching and thinking, one of the guards grabbed the Princess's bag and dropped it in the back of the carriage. Isiah stared in confusion for a moment when the guard walked over to him and hurriedly handed him his bag.

A voice called his name. The Mother was walking towards him, her eyebrows raised expectantly. The Princess and the other monks were nowhere to be seen. He rushed forward, his cheeks hot with embarrassment, and bowed before her. "Greetings, Mother."

"Greetings, Isiah," she replied, an amused smile pulling at her lips. "How are you feeling?"

"Nervous. I have not slept much," he answered. He shivered, the cool breeze whipping at his hair.

The Mother hummed and grabbed his wrist with a gentle hand. "It is alright to be nervous, Isiah, the world is a strange and dangerous place, but I know you will be alright," she said. Her voice soothed him. "There is a place you should go on your journey, once sacred to us. Over in the mountains to the west, in the valley between the two tallest mountains. It is safe there."

Isiah frowned and took a step back, the Mother's hand falling from its place on his arm. "Safe? Why would I-"

"This world is dangerous, Isiah. You can't always trust the words of others." The Mother's voice was serious, forcing him to listen. He dared not look away from her face, from the red eyes that bore into him. "If anything happens on your journey, head west. This place is not as safe as you would think. We are too close to the border."