Chapter 4

"No! It's called... Rock band."

"Is this a school project?"

"Yes. And it's a requirement and it may sound easy but nothing could be harder. It would test your head. And your mind. And your brain too." He said, pointing to the sections of his head.

"Will other schools be competing?" Summer asked.

"You can say that. You could say that every school in the state would be competing for the top prize!"

"What's the prize?"

"A win that would go on your permanent record. Hello, Harvard Yo! The thing is... we're not supposed to get started until next quarter but I think we should get a leg up on the competition. Don't you?"

"I do." Summer said, nodding.

"Who else wants to go for the gold?"

"I do. Yeah." The class said, smiling and nodding.

"All right. But if anyone finds out what we're doing in here, we'll be disqualified so let's just keep it on the down low. Shall we?"

"Can we tell our parents?" Katie asked, as Dad pointed a finger at her.

"No! Just trust me. They don't want to know anything about this. Keep it zipped. Alright. You guys. Let's kick it into overdrive." He said, motioning towards us.

"What are the rest of us supposed to do?"

"You just sit there and enjoy the magic of rock!"

"You mean we're not in the band?"

Dad slowly turned around with a look.

"Now. Hold up now. Just because you're not IN the band, doesn't mean you're not IN the band. We need backup singers. Who could sing?" He asked, looking towards the class.

"You. sing." He said as he pointed towards Marta who sang the song from 'Annie'.

"Stop. You've got it. And I don't even know what it is but you've got it. And that's why you're in the band." He said, as she smiled.

"You. Sing." He now pointed towards Alicia who sang 'Amazing Grace'.

"Stop. Before I start crying because I've found the missing ingredient, you're in the band." He said as Alicia also smiled.

"I can sing." Summer said as she raised her hand.

"Oh. You can? Alright, Summer. Belt it." He said as Summer started singing.

"MEMORY! ALL ALONE IN THE MOONLIGHT! NOT A SEC..." She started as I start to rub my ears, secretly.

"Stop. Stop. Okay. Good. That's pretty good."

"I can also play clarinet you know?"

"I'll find something for you but when we get back from lunch, I'll assign the rest of you killer positions!" He said with 2 thumbs up.

DURING LUNCH

"Oh my god, Freddy! Stop messing with my food!" I laughed as he played with my food that was on my lunch plate.

"Okay, Fine. I'll stop. You're making this not fun anymore." He said as he sat back in his seat.

"Says the boy who can't even buy his own lunch." I told him, making him look offended.

"I'm just joking." I replied, smiling as we both went on with our lunch.

TIME SKIP

We were now all in the classroom lined up against the wall waiting for instructions. I was standing next to Freddy, who was next to Marta.

"Lead guitar! Zack attack! Take a seat." Dad said, pointing to Zack to sat down.

"On bass, Hosh spice!" He said pointing to Katie and motioned for her to take a seat.

"On keyboards, Mr. Cool." He said as Lawrence smiled and took a seat.

"And on drums, Y/n and Spazzy McGee!" He said towards both of us as Freddy and I did our handshake before sitting down.

"Okay. Blondie, Brace space. You're singing backup." He said as Marta and Alicia smiled at each other before sitting down.

"Alright. Tough guy, short stop. Fancy pants, get over here! You guys are on security detail. You're job is to make sure no one outside this room knows what we're doing in here and the future of the band depends on you. You're first mission... Soundproofing this room. Get on it!"

"Can I be the band stylist instead?" Bully asked as he stepped forward.

"Of course you can, fancy pants. Okay." He mumbled, turning towards the last group of people.

"Carrot top! Road runner! Turkey sub! We are gonna have a lot of equipment. We're talking amps, electric guitars, maybe even lasers and smoke machines. Now, your job is to master the transportation and operation of this technology. Seriously, without a first degree roadie crew, were not gonna have a physiciodic show. And I can't live with that. Okay? I'm counting on you. Get going! Go!"

"Alright. You three... Groupies. And your job is simple. Just worship the band. And you're gonn be making hats, you're gonna be making t-shirts, all kinds of merchandise which leads me to your first assignment: naming the band. Alright! Sit down!" He then turned towards the class who was now sitting in our seats.

"As for me! I will be singing lead vocal and shredding guitar!" Dad said as he walked to the front and out his feet up on one of the chairs.

"Wait... isn't this student project?" Alicia asked as Dad turned around.

"What's your point?"

"Are you supposed to be in the band?"

"What? You wanna get rid of me? Why? Because I'm old? You hate teachers? Is that what you're about?" He asked as Alicia raised her eyebrows.

"No."

"Okay! Well teachers like to play, too! And not am I going to play, I'm El Capitano! And what I say goes. So put your hands over your hearts!" He said, putting his hand over where his heart is as we did the same.

"I pledge allegiance to the band of Mr. Schneebly. And will not fight him! For creative control! And will defer to him on all issues related to the musical direction of the band!" He said as we all tried to repeat after him, which was really bad and out of sync.

He then made a face before pulling down his fists.

"Now let's get rockin'!"