Chapter 1

I was walking with my dad's best friends to wake him up.

"He's a lazy free loader and it's time for all of this dysfunction to stop!" Patty exclaimed.

"Hey! Can't we just do this later? I mean, you know how he's..."

"Ned. Are you tired of letting people push you around?"

"Yes."

"Then get in there and do it!" She whisper yelled, pointing to the room where dad was sleeping.

Without hesitation, she walked up to dad's room and pushed the curtains open, hiding behind the curtains.

"Hey, Dewey. It's the first of the month and uh... I'd like your share of the rent now so..." Ned said, walking up to the curtains.

"Oh man! You know I don't have it! You wake me up in the morning for that!? Come on!" My dad yells as he covers himself with the blanket.

"Sorry."

He was about to leave the room but was stopped by Patty.

"Dewey. I mean you owe me a lot of money as it is."

"Yeah. And try $2,200." She said, now barging in the conversation.

"Okay. You guys. My band is about to hit it big time. We're going to win Battle of the Bands and when I'm rolling in the Benjamin's, I will throw you and your dog a bone." He said, pointing to the both of them as he covers himself with the blankets once more.

"Oh give it up! Your band never even made 2 sets!"

"Patty! Come on! I'm on this!" Ned said as he crosses his arms.

"Oh, you're on this? You're on this? He's walking all over you!"

"Mommy? Can we please talk about this later?" Dad says under the blankets.

"Uh, no. We can't talk about it later because Ned and I have to go to work. Also, Y/n has to go to school." Patty says as she mentions me.

"We have jobs. We contribute to society. Alright? I am an assistant to the mayor of this city. Hello!"

"Oh come on! Can you get her out of here, please? Why? Why her?"

"And Ned has the most important job there is." She says, now rubbing Ned's back as I roll my eyes.

"Temping?" Dad asks, removing the covers from his face.

"Dewey! A substitute teacher is not a temp!"

"He's a babysitter!"

"Oh yeah! You think it's so easy? Well, I'd like to see you try. You wouldn't last one day."

"Dude! I serve a society by rocking! Ok? I'm out there on the front lines liberating people with my music. Rocking ain't no walk in the park, ladies!" Dad said, moving his finger around before pulling the covers back over his face.

"Can you guys stop arguing? I have to go to school." I said, annoyed.

"Yeah. Hold on, Y/n. I'll drop you off. Ned, this is useless. You tell him that is he doesn't come up with the rent by the end of the week, he's out of here!" Patty said, moving from me to Ned as I grabbed my bag.

"Dewey, I'm not paying your share of the rent, so... I don't know... I mean, maybe sell one of your guitars or something." Ned said, looking at Dad, who's trying to go back to sleep.

"What? Would you tell Picasso to sell one of his guitars?" Dad asked, raising an eyebrow at him.

"Oh my god! He's an idiot! Come on, Y/n." Patty said as I followed her out the door.

TIME SKIP

"Bye, Y/n! Have a great time at school!" Patty yelled as I got out of the car.

"Bye!" I yelled back as she drove off.

"Y/n! There you are! I was wondering if you weren't going to come to school or not." Summer said as she walked up to me with a smile.

"Why wouldn't I come? I wanted to see one of my best friends." I replied with a smile.

"Let me guess... You also wanted to see Freddy, right?" She asked, with a smirk on her face as I rolled my eyes.

"Oh my god! Can you stop mentioning him!?"

"Don't worry. I can tell he likes you too." She said, trying to make me feel better.

"Oh please! He wouldn't! Besides, we are just friends."

I looked at Summer who looked at me with a raised eyebrow.

"Oh god! Come on. We are going to be late." I told her, bringing my arm around hers as we walked to class.

TIME SKIP

I was sitting in my seat, talking with Summer and Freddy, Lawrence, and all of my other classmates about music class and what happened during lunch.

"What do you think happened to Ms. Dunham?" Summer asked everybody as she sat in front of me.

"Do you think she got fired?" Tomika asked, making everybody nod their heads, thinking that she might've gotten fired.

"Well. What do you think, Y/n?" Lawrence asked, making everybody's attention turn towards me.

"I don't know. She might've quit the job. I mean, who knows?" I said, shrugging my shoulders.

"Children! Please take your seats!" Ms. Mullins said as everybody started to move to their seats quickly.

I was sitting next to Freddy in the back and everybody was sitting in their assigned seatings.

"Everybody, I would like for you to meet Mrs. Dunnam's substitute, Mr. Schneebly." She said as she opened the door.

Ned is going to be our sub for the next few weeks?

But I was so wrong, it was my dad.