Chapter Thriteen: Walls come undone

Grace woke before sunrise. she laid in bed, letting out a deep sigh as she found herself thinking about Daryl she hadn't noticed that she had brought her hand up to her shoulder, running her fingers along the outline of the scar that was left behind from the gunshot wound. Shaking her thoughts away as she decided to get up and find something to take her mind off things. Knowing that no one else was awake Grace throw on a pair of black jeans along with a grey shirt and a leather jacket she had found and then put on her combat boots. Pulling her brown hair to the top of her head in a sad excuse of a bun as she put the hair tie around the bun holding in it place. When she finished, she walked over and pulled her privacy sheet back and jumped when she saw Daryl standing there as he was about to knock on the bar to see if she was awake. "Jesus fucking Christ." She cursed as she brought for had to her chest. "You scared the hell out of me Daryl!" She snapped in a whisper.

"Sorry." Daryl snapped back. An awkward silence filled the space between them before Daryl broke it. "We're low on food. I need to go out there and try to get us stocked up again. Could use your help to spot me." He said holding up he wrist that was healing. Grace tried to hide the excitement on her face. It has been days since Daryl had even spoken a word to her and now, she was going to spend the day with him.

"Uh, sure. I'm ready to go now if you are." Grace said as she clipped her gun holster around her waist.

"Let's go then." He said tuning with Grace following him. The sun was starting to peek over the horizon as Daryl threw his poncho on and slid his crossbow on his back before heading out to the courtyard. Grace couldn't help but watch the way he moved and the way his muscles flexed when he walked. Damn, this man will be the death of me. She thought to herself as she watched him hop on his bike and waited for Grace to join him.

They drove about an hour before Daryl turned off the road, making sure his bike was hidden in the bushes. He grabbed his crossbow as he loaded a bolt into it. Grace grabbed her guns making sure they were loaded and ready to go if they ran into trouble. They headed off into the woods with Grace followed closely behind Daryl with her hands hovering over her guns. She kept quiet as he tracked.

The morning passed and they weren't having much luck. After a while longer Daryl stopped and shook his wrist out, deciding it was time for them to take a break. Daryl leaned against a tree as he dug in his bag while Grace sat down on a boulder that faced him. She closed her eyes as she brought her hand to the back of her neck, twisting it from side to side stretching it out.

"Hey." Daryl mumbled at her; she opened her eyes looking over at him. He pulled out some food and a water bottle throwing them at her. she caught them as she mumbled a thanks to him. Grace hated how things are between them. They didn't talk like they use to. Why did you fuck up Grace! Because that's what you always do. Because you aren't good enough for good enough for anyone especially for Daryl, he deserves more. She thought to herself as she tried searching her head for something to say but kept coming up blank. Daryl stared at Grace; wondering was she was thinking about as she could see her facial expressions that he knew well enough now. He coughed a couple times before picking up his crossbow. We should get back to it. Daryl said pushing himself off the tree.

"Daryl, wait." Grace finally said. She couldn't take this anymore because she missed him. Daryl turned around to face her as she looked up to him with a look of sadness on her face. "How do I fix this? What the hell is going on with us?" She asked not wanting to beat around the bush. Daryl stayed silent which just pissed her off. "Would you just fucking talk to me?" Grace snapped trying to sound angry, but she sounded sadder than anything.

"What the hell do you want me to say, Grace?" He snapped throwing his arms up.

"Something, anything! Why have you been avoiding me?" Grace said standing up as she took a step closer to him. Sadness seeping through her words.