Chapter Six: The black sheep

Few days had passed, and Grace's pain was very slowly fading. Beth brought her food and water while they chatted with each other whenever she was awake. Grace had grown to adore Beth in just the few short days shed been there. She was always smiling even though there wasn't much left in this world to smile about, but it gave Grace hope and a happiness she hadn't felt in a very long time, even before the turn.

Grace woke up from her sleep, she sat herself up and she was surprised when she saw that she was alone, usually someone was lingering around watching her. She was happy she could finally sit herself up without any help. Her body tensed when she heard footsteps coming towards her cell. She suddenly froze when she saw that it was Rick. He went to the door of her cell. Grace clenched her hands against the metal bar below her.

"You're awake." He said looking at her, Grace nodded. She noticed he had a different look on his face.

"How's your wound?" He said pointing to her arm.

"It's healing, slowly". She said bitterly at him.

"I didn't know you were shot when I dragged you out of her the other day." Risk mumbled quietly. Grace realized this was his way of apologizing. She looked at the wall in front of her and nodded slowly.

"Listen. I shouldn't have done what I did. Wasn't fair to you, but this is my family and I don't take kindly to strangers." Rick calmly said to her. 

"I didn't ask to be brought here Rick." Grace pointed out, her voice softening. Rick nodded.

"I know. That's why it wasn't fair for me to react that way, I've been going through some stuff." Rick said trying to explain himself, there was awkward silence between them.

I" hope you know that I would never do anything to harm you or your family after everything Hershel has done for me. I am in your guys debt." She said bringing her eyes to rick showing him she was serious, he nodded in response. "And I respect that you're protective of them and I'll keep my word. As soon as I am able, I'll be out of here." She said softly. "And I'm sorry about your loss." She added and Rick looked at her surprised and nodded again before turning and leaving.

Maybe he isn't so bad. She thought to herself. After a few more minutes she stood up and stretched her limbs. It still hurt like hell to move, but she was sick of sleeping all the time. Every time she closed her eyes, she had horrible flash backs of that day and what had happened to her. even when she was awake her mind would fill with the awful memories. She sighed, her eyes filling with tears for a moment.

You're safe here. She thought to herself. These are good people. Try to get them to let you stay. Her thoughts were soon interrupted when she heard Beth's voice from behind her.

"Hey, you got up by yourself!" Beth exclaimed coming into the cell. Grace slowly turned so she could face her. she smiled and nodded at her.

"Feels good. It hurts like hell but feels good that I can do it on my own now. Wouldn't mind trying to stretch these legs for a bit before I forget how to use them all together." Grace said making Beth chuckle.

"Well, come on then." Beth said holding out her arm while Grace limped over to her grabbing hold of Beths arm for support as they head out of the cell and towards Cell block C where everyone else slept.

"Daryl sleeps up there because he refuses to sleep in a cell." Beth said pointing at a spot between the stairwells that are connected to the top floor and the bottom. Grace nodded when they entered the eating area where everyone stopped what they doing to stare at them. Grace hated feeling like a black sheep. Beth just smiled and waved at everyone. Maggie exchanged worried look between Glenn. Grace smiled at them but no smiled back except Hershel who grabbed his crutches and walked over to them.