Chapter Four: The Prison

"What the hell are you thinking Daryl? Bringing a corpse in here?" Maggie asked, raising her voice at him when she got a good glimpse of the girl in his arms.

"She ain't dead!" He shouted back at her.

"Well she's pretty damn well close!" Maggie said in a shout, Daryl opened his mouth to say more when Hershel come up from behind them, his crutches clicking against the concrete floor of the prison.

"Bring her here Daryl." Hershel softly said, nodding his head towards a table. Daryl walked over and laid her body down on the table and made sure she was still covered with his shirt.

"Why don't you all leave me to my work now, and Maggie could you please grab Beth for me?" Hershel said sternly to them, Maggie wanted to argue but turned on her heel to go look for her sister.

"You going to be alright?" Daryl asked him and Hershel nodded. Daryl turned on his heels and he began to walk out of the cell block he looked over his shoulder and said, "Just yell if you need me, I'll be close by."

***********************************************************************************************************

Maggie found Beth holding and singing to little baby Judith. Carl was with her. She looked around confused.

"Where's Rick?" Maggie asked, Beth stopped singing and looked up at her sister.

I"'m not sure. He hasn't been around much this afternoon." Beth explained.

"Alright, well Daddy needs you. Hes in D block." Maggie told her, by the way she spoke Beth could tell that her sister wasnt happy.

"Oh okay." Beth said looking around, not sure what to do with Judith.

I"'ll take her." Carol said walking into the block smiling at the baby, Beth smiled back while handing her over.

"She's almost asleep." Beth said quietly.

"Alright, go on now." Carol said smiling while rocking Judith.

Beth then headed out the door towards D block. She was wondering what was going on to make everyone seem mad and on edge. She passed Daryl and smiled at him; he gave her a nod in return.

"Hey Dadd-" Beth started saying as she walked into D block only to stop dead in her tracks when she saw the girl on the table.

"Beth, Happy you"re here. Can you get some towels and boiled water for me? And grab me the medical supplies as well please?" Hershel said without taking his eyes from what he was doing.

"Is she okay?" She asked her father while looking down at the poor girl.

"I don't know." Hershel answered her honestly. Beth then turned on her heels and quickly got a fire going to boil some water, she grabbed the large bag of medical supplies that Carl has gathered on his own when Hershel was fighting for his life after Rick had to cut off his leg when he got bit by a walker.

"Here you go Daddy, Be careful its hot." She warned him as she placed the boiled water down beside him.

"Thank you, sweetheart." Hershel smiled at her. Grabbing one of towels, dipping it into the boiled water before pressing it against Graces eyes, making sure to clean all the dirt away from them. Hershel then moved to clean every cut on her body as well as cleaning and wrapping a bandage around her bullet wound.

"She's got some broken ribs." Hershel said to Beth. "See the swelling?"

"Yes." Beth said while going to help her father wrap her midsection. Hershel worked on her for an hour or two before sitting back and signing.

"That;s about all we can do. The rest is up to her now." He said looking down and the girl.

"Who is she?" Beth asked, also looking down at the girl with sadness in her eyes.

"Don't know. Daryl found her when he was out checking his snares earlier." Hershel explained as he reached out for his crutches.

"She's about your size, huh? Maybe you can go find her some clothes we can slip onto her for now." Hershel said to Beth who had gotten up and quickly went to the cell that she was slowly making into her living space. Reaching into a backpack that was full of clothes, Beth found a pair of black shorts and a grey tank top. Returning to her father and the girl they both helped each other carefully dress the girl.

"Thank you, sweetheart. Now could you please go and find Daryl for me?"

Hershel asked Beth, knowing she would move a lot better and faster than him. Beth nodded before she went out the door towards Daryl. It wasnt long until she came across him leaning against a cell in the block next to them.

"Hey, my Daddy needs you." Beth called to him, causing his eyes to dart up at him with a hint of panic in them.

"Everything okay?" He asked her as he pushed himself off the cell and headed towards Hershel.

"Yeah. He just needs your help with something." Beth said with a small smile on her face. "I'm happy you brought her back here for help. I know anyone else would have just shot her in the head." She continued and Daryls eyes darted around awkwardly.

"Yeah." He said as he walked out of sight.

Daryl walked into D block just as he saw Hershel washing the blood off his hands.

"Hey, Everything okay?" He asked

"I did what I could. She seems to be holding on. I just need you help moving her to the bed in that cell over there." Explained Hershel.

"Sure." Daryl mumbled to him as he picked the girl up, when he turned around to put her into a cell Rick was standing in front of him covered in blood from head to toe.

"Who is that?" Rick asked with anger in his voice. He tilted his head to the side.

"Just a girl that needed help." Daryl growled pushing past him, going into the cell and lying her down. Rick suddenly drew his python cocking it as he went towards Daryl and the girl.

"Rick!" Called Hershel, but Rick ignored him, Daryl turned around and saw Rick coming towards him with his gun.

"Put the gun down Rick!" Daryl warned him, stepping in front of the girl, holding up his crossbow.

"We don't know who she is, what if she dies? I am not letting my family become walker food!" Rick said raising his voice.

"Calm down Rick!" Hershel said from behind him.

"Put the gun down!" Daryl warned again, staring Rick dead in the eyes as he readies his crossbow to fire if needed. Rick stared back at him for a few more minutes before finally putting his gun back in its holster and turning and walking away towards the tombs where he had come from. Hershel watched as he left. He knew rick was slipping ever since they lost Lori.

"You better keep watch over her." Hershel said, Daryl nodding in response, still glaring the way Rick went.