Chapter VII

"So, Beca," Tim began. "I can see that you make my daughter very happy but do you intend to stick by her?"

Beca was outside on the porch with Tim having a drink while Chloe was inside with Sandy making dessert. Dinner was lovely and it felt so good that Beca and Chloe were able to talk openly about their relationship and act like a couple. They loved it and they were so happy that they were going to be exclusive. Chloe was still a tad nervous about it but after talking to her parents, Chloe felt pretty confident and she knew she was going to have support from her friends and family no matter what.

Beca felt confident as well but right now, she was quite nervous since she was pretty sure she was getting the father talk. Beca hoped she wouldn't have to experience such a thing but she knew how precious Chloe was to Tim so it was kind of foolish for her to think she could get away with it.

"Of course, I intend to stick by her through everything," answered the brunette.

"I know you're a good woman and I know you've done right by Chloe but now I know that you two are dating, I want to ask you some questions that I haven't been able to ask you."

"Ah, okay. What do you want to know?"

"How many people have you been with before Chloe?"

"Ah... One."

"Did you sleep with them?"

Beca nearly choked on her drink. "N, no. I, ah, I don't believe in premarital sex. It's just not something that I intend to break."

"So you haven't slept with my Chlobear then?"

"No. I want to wait."

"Good. Very good. So that means that you haven't had any one-night stands or anything like that?"

"No! No, absolutely not. I've never liked the idea of doing that anyway."

"Good. That's good to hear. I'm proud of you."

"Ah... Thanks."

"I need to know that you're going to look after Chloe, Beca. She may be a strong, independent woman but she wears her heart on her sleeve and she can't be strong all the time. She needs someone to be there for her and look after her. She needs to have someone to lean on and be strong for her when she can't be. She needs someone reliable and someone she can turn to no matter what. She needs someone she can trust and someone who will always be loyal to her. Is that you?"

"I can promise you, Tim, that I love Chloe. I'd do anything for her. It's been hard these past four years not being able to say who my girlfriend is. It's been extremely hard but I didn't say anything because I knew Chloe wasn't ready. Sometimes her life can get overwhelming and I've always been there for her and I will continue to be there for her. She's the most amazing woman I've ever met and I adore her. I know you're protective over Chloe but I promise you that I'll look after her. We love each other and we look after each other. Chloe is the best thing that's ever happened to me. As soon as I met her in my café, I knew she was the one for me."

Tim looked at Beca and nodded. "I know. I see how you look at her. I see how you speak to her and treat her. Chloe needs someone like you and I am really happy that she's with you. You're good for her and I know you'll keep treating her right."

"Thank you, Tim. That really means a lot to me. I promise to take care of Chloe the best I can. She's an amazing woman and I love her."

Tim smiled. "Good."

"Now that we're alone, there's something I want to ask you."

"What's that?"

"Well," Beca reached into her pocket and pulled out a box and handed it to Tim.

The man opened the box and saw a big diamond ring.

"Holy shit," he uttered, his eyes wide.

"I'd like to marry your daughter, Tim and it would mean the world to me if I could have your blessing."

"My blessing?" Tim turned to Beca. "That's sweet, honey but this isn't the fifties."

"I know it's not but I'm traditional like that and I want to do this right. I want to know that you're okay with me marrying Chloe and I want to know that Sandy is as well. I want you both to be reassured that I'm going to look after Chloe and I want you to be happy that I'm going to marry her."

Tim smiled at Beca. "You really are the perfect woman for her, aren't you?"

"Well, I don't know about that," Beca chuckled. "But I try my best."

"I think you try very well. Even though I don't think you need it, you have my blessing, Beca and I have no doubt you'll have Sandy's as well. Did you want me to go and get her so you can ask or would you like me to ask her for you?"

"I'd like to ask her myself if that's okay?"

"Of course. I really admire you, Beca. You've got a big heart and I know you'll make Chloe very happy as her wife."

"Thank you, Tim."

"And I'm sorry if I came off a little harsh earlier. I just want to make sure that Chloe's happiness is in good hands. It's a dad thing."

"That's okay," Beca chuckled. "I understand. I'd do the same for my daughter."

"Are you planning on having kids?"

"In the future, yes. We'll probably have kids. Chloe loves kids so I don't think I'd be able to get away with not having any."

"You'll be a terrific mother as will Chloe. I can't wait to meet my grandchildren."

"I can't wait either."

"Good. Alright, I'll go and get Sandy. Just be prepared for her to squeal and jump on you and smother you."

Beca laughed. "Got it."

Tim handed back the ring and went inside to fetch Sandy. Beca sat back in her chair, feeling content and excited that she was finally going to propose to the love of her life and she couldn't wait for Chloe to say yes.