Chapter VI

Today was a big day because today, Chloe was going to tell her parents about her and Beca. She was so nervous but Beca reassured her that everything would be fine. Beca was so proud of Chloe - SO proud. She knew the redhead was nervous beyond words but Beca wasn't going to leave her side. Beca was also a little nervous but nothing like Chloe. Chloe's parents were wonderful people and they were practically Beca's second family. They were very accepting, loving, open, kind, generous, and pretty much everything Chloe was. They were amazing people and Beca had a good feeling about telling them they were dating. Chloe adored her parents but she couldn't control her worry. Chloe had never been rejected by her parents but in saying that, Chloe hadn't done anything wrong. Chloe was the perfect child growing up and she always made good decisions but this was something else.

"You'll be, okay, baby," Beca said sweetly. "I promise."

Chloe turned to her girlfriend who gave her a reassuring kiss before they knocked on the door and were welcomed by Chloe's mother, Sandy.

"Come in, my lovelies!" Sandy said after giving Beca and Chloe and hug. "Tim, the girls are here!"

Beca and Chloe walked down the hallway and greeted Chloe's dad. Every time Beca saw Chloe's parents, she was amazed by how similar they looked to Chloe. Sandy had red hair and Tim had electric blue eyes. Chloe got her nose from her mother and her lips from her father and she got their wonderful, bubbly, and happy personality from both of them. It was as if all of their best traits were put into Chloe.

"Sit at the table, ladies," Tim told them. "Dinner is ready to be served."

"Okay, thanks, dad."

Chloe made her way to the dining table in the other room and was trying to calm her breathing.

"Babe, it'll be okay," Beca told her, rubbing her back.

"I know, I know... I'm just nervous that's all. What if they get mad? What if they kick us out? What if they want nothing to do with me?"

"Whoa, baby. Just calm down. I can't see your parents doing any of that. Can you?"

"Well... No, but it can still happen."

"I highly doubt it will but let's just have dinner first."

"I don't know if I can eat - I'm so nervous."

"Let's tell them first then. Just get it out the way so we can have a nice dinner."

"Okay," Chloe nodded.

"That's my girl." Beca pecked Chloe's cheek and sat next to her at the table while Chloe's parents put dinner in front of them and sat down.

"So, how have my girls been?" Tim asked, eating his dinner.

"We've been well, dad," Chloe smiled.

"Oh, Chloe!" Sandy interjected. "I read the other day that you were dating one of your co-stars. Is that true?"

Chloe glanced at Beca before looking at her mother. "Not exactly, mom."

"Oh?"

"I am dating someone just not my co-star."

"You are? Who? Tell us!"

Chloe's heart was hammering so hard and fast she felt like it was going to fly out of her chest. Beca could tell Chloe was anxious so she took her hand and gave it a squeeze, which helped calm Chloe down a bit.

"Well, that's the thing..." Chloe uttered. "She's sitting right next to me."

Sandy and Tim looked at Beca who smiled at them the best she could whilst being nervous.

"You're dating Beca?" Tim checked.

"Yes," Chloe nodded. "We've been dating for a while now. I... I've always liked women I just was too scared to do anything about it until I met Beca. I tried to make it work with men but... I couldn't. Something didn't feel right inside me. I'm not attracted to them and I never was."

"Oh, thank God," Sandy sighed.

"What?" Chloe frowned.

"Honey," Tim chuckled. "We know."

"Wha...? You... you know?"

"Yes. Your mom and I knew that you were into girls. We knew since you were a teenager. We were just waiting for you to come out and tell us. We were never going to push you."

"But... I... I don't understand... Why are you so casual about this? Aren't you mad that it took me so long?"

"No, sweetie," Sandy shook her head. "Not at all. We know that sexuality is a very delicate thing to talk about for some people so we weren't going to pester you about it. We love you no matter what and we knew that you didn't like boys."

"And that was fine by me," Tim added.

"We want you to be happy, honey and we knew that you and Beca were probably dating. We weren't so sure since you two acted like friends whenever you were with us but we saw the looks you gave each other and the inside jokes - things couples do. It was really sweet and we're so proud of you for telling us."

Chloe and Beca felt relief wash over them. Beca knew Chloe's parents were going to be understanding but she had no idea they were already on to them. Both women felt a little embarrassed but they were happy and relieved that Chloe's parents were okay with everything.

"You and Beca make a really cute couple, honey," said Sandy. "Dad and I were hoping that you and Beca were a couple and it's so good to know that you are."

Chloe smiled. "Thanks, mom. That really means a lot to me."

"How long have you been together?"

"Since we met four years ago."

"Why didn't you tell us?" Tim asked.

"I was scared. I didn't know how you were going to react and I didn't know how the public was going to react either. Everyone thinks I'm straight and there's still a negative stigma out there in regards to same-sex couples."

"Chlobear, we will support you in whatever you do and who cares what the public thinks? If you and Beca love each other then nothing will come between that. If you let the world control you, you'll be miserable. Don't let people stop you from loving who your heart has chosen to be in love with and if people don't understand that, then don't bother with them. You and Beca are strong women and your mom and I can see how much you love each other. I wouldn't worry about what other people think, honey. That's the worst thing you can do."

Beca and Chloe looked at each other and smiled, squeezing one another's hand.

"Thanks, dad. I think I'm ready to let the world know now."

"That's good to hear."

Beca turned to Chloe and beamed at her, over the moon Chloe was prepared to tell the world they were together. Chloe smiled back and leaned in and kissed the love of her life and it felt amazing knowing they didn't have to hide anymore.