It pleases me that she enjoys my people's history. She is truly amazing.

We're let into the throne room without delay. The amount of guards standing at attention here is worrying. I know they would never hurt Posy, but I cannot take chances. Should I run now?

"Posy and Torint, your majesty." Rarem announces, closing the enormous double doors behind him.

"So this is the human I have heard so much about!" A booming voice calls, and the Emperor comes into view.

His clothes are traditional warrior's garb, dark colors and looser fitting pants, but he does not blend in with the rest of us. He wears a large crown of the finest jewels on his head, and his hands are decorated with expensive rings.

When he nears us with his arms wide open, I cannot help it, I growl at him. It's a natural reaction. As the noise leaves my throat, the guards step forward, ready to defend our ruler even if it means death.

The Emperor raises his hands for them to stop.

"Stand down. I have encroached too close to his female, it is a warranted reaction, is it not?" He asks, and they reluctantly agree in grumbled responses.

He claps his hands together once as he moves on.

"I have been informed about your kit. My congratulations. It is true, yes?" He asks. A collective gasp washes over the room.

It would seem that it is not yet widespread news that we have conceived a child. I would have thought that I would be pleased by this revelation, instead I am anxious for it to be heard. Our kit is a miracle, hope.

I tuck Posy underneath my arm again as the Guards surrounding us stare in awe. My mate places a protective hand against her abdomen and smiles shyly.

"Yes. We are very excited." She informs him. Pride swells within me. I have known for some time how Posy shares my happiness about our kit, but hearing it said out loud is always reassuring. She is just as ready for a family as I am.

I wonder everyday how many kits she will let me give her. It is a subject for another time.

"Oh, yes. We are all very excited. Are we not?" The Emperor asks the room collectively. Instead of answering verbally, they all nod as the stare at my mate.

I hate those stares. I clutch my mate tighter to my side. They look at her like she's made of mist instead of flesh and blood, and I will admit that I once did the same.

All those months ago when I found her in the woods. She was terrified of me. Trembling, crying. And now we eagerly wait for the arrival of our kit.

It has been a journey of discovery and love. I would not have shared it with anyone else. I will love Posy forever.

The sound of a cheering crowd soon fills the space. Our Emperor turns to the large hanging curtain behind his throne that leads to a balcony overlooking the kingdom.

He turns back to us, a longing look in his deep eyes.

"I hope you do not mind. I will be announcing the news today. I cannot keep it from my people any longer." He says, straightening his crown and pursing his lip as the silence draws out. "Would you two like to join me?"

If I hated the stares before, I know that millions of stares will not help. I want people to know of the miracle, of course, but that many eyes on Posy. I don't know if I could handle that.

A small hand slips into mine, and Posy grins reassuringly up at me.

"It's alright, big guy. Just pretend it's me and you. Can you do that?" She asks softly, I lace my fingers with hers and give her hand a squeeze. My mate can get me through anything.

"Yes. Just me and you."

Sadly, this is the last chapter of Exit Only

Sadly, this is the last chapter of Exit Only. There will still be an epilogue, and then we move on to Book 2!

Any predictions or requests for the next book? I wanna hear them, so don't be shy!

Until next time! Love y'all!