Two days later and I considered myself a local Avalonian, despite having seen every tourist hotspot and having only lived in the city for three days. The second day we spent at home, getting the house up to adequate living standards. Upon returning home from that pleasant experience on the subway I found my parents exhausted but happy and my brother lying on his recently formed bed, sheets piled at the end and boxes decorating his room. He got a front bedroom, with a view of the street, like my parents room. I got the back one, for the sole reason of the fire escape. I needed somewhere to start my garden and my brother was more likely to use it to sneak out than my goody two shoes self. Not that he was a more exciting person, I just preferred a cup of tea to a night out at the club.

Said brother decided he wished to remain in the CBD for a little while longer after we visited the attractions of the city together on that fine Wednesday. 5:30 was feeling a little too late for me and I thought I would rather go home for a cup of tea. The walk from the station to our apartment was only about sixteen minutes, but after a long day of viewing statues of the favoured race of the city, and hearing stories gushed about them, sixteen minutes felt a lot longer. Two minutes in and I switched my song to something ideally upbeat enough to keep me awake. As the rocky drumbeat came in, my eyes fell on a figure ahead of me. Feeling guilty for stereotyping people in hoodies, I forced the misgivings from my gut and imagined the person might feel if they knew that I was afraid to walk near them just because of what they're wearing. Either way, I fabricated some semblance of confidence in time with my music. Three steps closer and doubts rose again as they looked slightly to the right of me and I followed their gaze to see another person. We all walked slowly, as if despite being aware that everyone knew what was going to happen, if we acted casually enough the other party wouldn't notice. I glanced to my left. Another hooded person there, this one with a cigarette that he tossed on the ground at my gaze. I couldn't bring myself to look behind me.

Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope—

I carefully tugged out an earphone and sped up a little. My arms were roughly pulled behind my back, secured with tight hands at the wrists.

Should have looked.

My thoughts sped up as the other three approached.

"Hey sweetheart. Just want your money, love."

I felt someone rummaging through my shoulder bag. I wanted to throw up. Still, the mask of confidence sat on my face.

"Hang on a minute..."

The guy to my left spoke, staring at me hard, his voice holding a sinister familiarity.

"How do I know you?"

Dread pooled in my stomach as I looked at him.

"You're the girl from the train. You ducked my punch."

Now I have to leave.

The guy to my right had found a loose twenty. A new song came on in my ear and I did the first thing I could think of. I sang along.

Let's bust a myth here first. Just because you're singing in real life like its some kind of musical, it doesn't mean it'll sound good. Let me say right now, the sound was not particularly pleasant. I'm not gonna lie, it wasn't my brightest hour, but it had the desired effect and thats the bottom line. The baddies were totally shocked. Their guards dropped with the beat and my smirk rose in return as I shook one guy off and got my elbow into his nose and my foot into Right Guy's chin before they could even react. Much swearing followed. I took off, darting between the gaps in their circle left by the hurt blokes, who were still cradling their ouchies and their pride. There were shouts as the other two followed me down the empty street. Ooh here's a question: where the hell was everyone?