Chapter 3

I felt tired when I woke up the next day.  The alarm that must have been there already was beeping.  I yawned.  I remembered that I had to be ready by 12:00 and got up and put on a new green dress, nervous that it would be a bad idea to not wear something nice on a real first day.  I didn't know what was going to happen.  

     Dressing up felt like the right thing to do, okay?  I would stop after today if it wasn't necessary.  My green dress did look nice on me.  

     I met Miller at the entrance and he looked at me with big eyes.  Was it how I looked.  I am very curious about Miller.  He's a bit strange, but I will have to get to know him better.  

     DONG!  Echoed twelve times around the halls.  I wanted to cover my ears because it was so loud.   

     I didn't though.  

     "Hello, Anastasia, Miller.  Welcome to our small town.  My name is Fredrick Colby and I'm here to help you find your area of service.  But we will start with your training classes and soon, you won't need my help finding the way," a man said merrily.  His eyes were bright and excited.  

     He started to walk and we followed, trying to keep up with his quick pace.  He stopped in front of an elevator, the doors opened, we stepped inside, and it went sideways.  

     It stopped in front of another set of stairs.  We went up those stairs, still following Fredrick.  Fredrick had a confidence in his step.  

     He stopped once we got to the top, which led straight to a single door.  He grabbed a bunch of keys from his pocket and worked on finding one.  Me and Miller exchanged a glance before he found the key and unlocked the door.  

     I don't think I will ever know the way around this whole place.   Though he says I will, I don't think I will.  

     When he opened the door, it led to another hall.  I sighed.  We kept walking in a confusing arrays of elevator, halls, stairs and doors.  

     But he finally stopped in front of a door and unlocked it.  He gestured for us to enter.  I did as he said, though I didn't quite trust him anymore.  

     There sat the three women.  Josaline, Aubrey and Mira.  They were tied down in their seats and their eyes were full of fear.  

     "What's going on?" I asked instantly, frightened at the sight.  The mayor was at the front of the room and he looked angry.  Though I doubt there was ever a moment he didn't look angry.  

     "We are punishing these individuals for the events taken place yesterday," he replied and looked at me sternly.  

     "What kind of punishment?" I asked.  He glared at me.  

     "You will have to see, Anastasia.  Unless you wish to join them?" I backed away.  He looked away, grinning an evil grin.  

     A man in a black cloak walked in.  He held something.  The women started to scream, but they had things over their mouths.  The man showed his hand to show something like a wire.  He wrapped the wires around the women, who would not stop screaming.  

     There was a buzzing sound coming from the wires now.  The women stopped screaming.  

     The man took away the wires.  The women stared at the wall blankly.  The man let out a grunt before leaving.  

     "This wipes the memory of all recent events.  This is a simple punishment, but for the worst of acts, we wipe their memory completely.  You may go back to your homes, if you like," the mayor said almost gleefully.  I nodded my head and started to walk out.