Chapter 1

Okay, so my name is Anastasia.  Anastasia Burns.  I'm from Willows-brook.  I live there and have lived there my entire life.  

     There's my parents, who live as far away from Willows-brook as they could find without leaving the country.  

     My little brother, Nathan, lives across the street.  We are young, but every student lives in a small town like ours.  Alone.  It's just how our world works and we're used to it.  A friend of mine, Mack Jacks, is coming over for a visit.  They don't usually allow us to visit with each other, but tonight they do.  So a bunch of my friends are going to town hall to celebrate.  

     The thing I like about this world is that there are no enemies.  We have no financial problems because everyone is given what they require.  There is no what you might call "war."  

     "Anastasia!" Mack said from my lawn.  One of the many trucks had come just earlier to mow the lawn.  

    "Mack, isn't it a beautiful night?" I replied and got on my coat, covering my sweet pink dress.  He smiled.  This was the reason why I loved this world.  My friends were so important to me.  

     Nathan got out of his house.  He smiled and waved at me.  We were all dressed up, or at least a little.  This dress had been given to me by my mother.  We saw them every month and this month she had given me this sweet, pink dress.  I had heels that matched, which were from my father.  

     They fit me perfectly.  

     "You look amazing," Mack said.  I smiled and we got on a pick up car, which came around the town on holidays and picked people up to take to the town hall.  Me, Mack and Nathan got in the transport.  

     "I do wish you luck and satisfaction at this holiday," the driver said as we pulled up beside the town hall.  My pink dress was still hidden under my coat, which was red.  I had makeup on, which they usually forbade, but they gave it to us for tonight.  

     For tonight was an extremely special day.  It is the day that the eldest students are to graduate to a new town.  To go to a school for a long while that we will not know until we are there.  They don't send them all to the same school, but they do send them to the same town.  

     It is in a different country in the distant place they call Nightlock.  

     And it was my year to go.  Mack, too.  Also, most of my other friends.  Some of my friends are already there.  Nathan looked at me sadly.  

    "I will miss you, sister," Nathan said sadly.  I gave him a hug.  

     "You will be coming soon, little brother.  I will see you in three years and I will visit when I can," I said and patted him on the head.  

     "But what if they switch towns like they do sometimes?" he begged.  He acted young.  He was young.  

     "Anastasia!" yelled the loud speakers.  I walked through the crowd.  My coat was off and some people looked at me curiously.  

     "We would like to offer you this, because of your astounding grades," said the principal of the school.  He was one of the few adults present.  He held a crown in his hands.  I bowed and he put it on my head.  I smiled.  

     He gestured for me to step off the stage and I did so.  I ran over to Mack, a huge grin on my face.  

     "Can you believe it?" I asked, shaking with excitement.  

     "It is fabulous, Anastasia.  Now to the dancing portion of this meeting," Mack replied happily.  All of my stuff was with everyone else's.  I could see the suitcase with my name tag, written in neat cursive.   I smiled sadly.  It was leaving the town I was raised in.  I wouldn't come back for nearly a month.  It would be a happy day for many, but for me, it will be a very sad day.